LETTER: Why I quit as an independent to re-join Tories
Cllr Nick Meekins Former Wisbech Mayor
- Credit: Archant
Some people may be surprised that I have re-joined the Conservative Party which I left in 2012 for personal reasons.
Although I’ve always basically retained Conservative principles, in 2019 I decided to stand as an Independent.
I truly believe that it’s important that decisions in our local councils are subject to due questioning and challenge, and there need to be checks and balances in place.
I’ve come to realise over the last two years that the most effective way that I can contribute to that process is as a member of the Conservative groups on both Fenland District Council and Wisbech Town Council.
I’ve acted constructively and collaboratively over the last two years from the opposition benches.
You may also want to watch:
I’ve generally been pleased with the way both councils have been run by the Conservatives.
I'd like to contribute further to the councils, both for the residents I represent and for the area as a whole.
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 3 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 4 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 5 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 6 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 7 Bungling burglar confronted wearing stolen clothes
- 8 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
I feel the best way do this is as a member of the Conservative Party.
My main aim continues to be to work for the people of Peckover Ward as I have done for the past two years – answering correspondence promptly, following up their queries and reporting back to concerned residents.
Once the pandemic allows, I hope to go back out with the police doing parking and speeding work, with Streetpride doing litter picks, the Peckover estate user group and also holding more ward surgeries.
Town and District Councillor for Peckover Ward, Wisbech