‘Loan shark’ visits Wisbech Town vs Wroxham match as forerunner to month of action
THE Yachtsmen were in Wisbech on Tuesday - and they brought with them a Loan Shark hoping to enjoy some mouth-watering football.
The shark toured the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium on Tuesday as Wisbech Town played Wroxham in the Ridgeons Premier League, handing out leaflets as a forerunner to a month of action against illegal money lenders.
Accompanying the shark was Councillor David Hodgson, a member of Wisbech Town Council and Fenland District Council.
Cllr Hodgson said: “There was quite a lot of interest. We had a lot of support from the football club, staff and stewards.
“We want to tell illegal money lenders that this month of action is happening and we are hunting them. We are fairly sure there are some around and we have to find them.
You may also want to watch:
“We want the public to report any illegal money lending they hear about - they can report it online or by phone.”
The month of action is being led by the government-backed Illegal Money Lending Team.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Emporium takes business to next level
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Family friends to cycle from Wales to Wisbech to create more happy memories
- 7 New era begins at table tennis club rescued from the brink
- 8 Author reflects on reasons behind 'The Chapel of Ease'
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
During May, events being staged during the campaign will include two market day events, leaflet drops, “money wise” days and the launching of a hot air balloon.
There are also plans for a play to be performed by school children.
A spokesman for the Illegal Money Lending Team said: “Everyone is struggling these days, and we want to support people in Wisbech in these hard times.”
Last year, a report from trading standards and the Illegal Money Lending Team concluded that there was a need within Fenland to combat illegal money lending.
Ross McGivern, Fenland Council’s community support officer, also said that Wisbech, and specifically Waterlees, was an area that needs to be targeted to raise awareness of financial issues and illegal money lenders.
• To report a loan shark, ring a confidential line on 0300 555 2222 or e-mail email@example.com