Liverpool, Loughborough, Warwick, Birmingham and York - some of the universities where successful A level students from Wisbech Grammar are headed
- Credit: Archant
Liverpool, Loughborough, Warwick, Birmingham and York are some of the universities selected by top performing A level students from Wisbech Grammar School whose head has been celebrating this year’s results.
Chris Staley said: “Once again I am really pleased with the A’ level results.
“With so much change in the education and examination system, the pupils have managed this very well.”
He said the results reflect his students’ “resilience, hard work and the dedication of the teaching staff, plus the unerring support of parents alike”.
The school has achieved a pass rate in excess of 97 per cent with more than 51 per cent achieving the top grades and more than 76 per cent of the year group receiving A*-C’s.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Staley said: “This year’s results have provided the boys and girls of Wisbech Grammar School with the springboard to go on to university with more than 60% of pupils achieving their first choice university.
He highlighted these successes:
- 1 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 2 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 3 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 4 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 5 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 6 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 7 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 8 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 9 Burnouts, revving engines and upset shoppers lead to dispersal order
- 10 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
•Waleed Asif A* Maths and 2 A’s Biology and Chemistry and is off to Liverpool to read Medicine.
•Mollie Allen: 3 A’s – Textiles, Geography and P.E and is going to Loughborough to read Information Management and Business.
•Maddie Booth: 2 A’s Politics and English and B in Geography- Maddie is off to Warwick to read Politics and Global Sustainable Development
•George Bone: A* Business and 2 A’s in Biology and Chemistry- George is off to Birmingham to read Biological Science
•Ben Martin: 3 A’s in Politics, German and Spanish- Ben is off to Warwick to read German and Spanish.
He added that the heads of school Ben York and Izzy Hall are going to their first choice universities at Liverpool and York to read physics and biology.
Mr Staley said: “The AS results are probably a notch or two higher than the A’ levels which is fantastic news.
“With so many schools dropping AS’s completely, our bold decision to stick with them for this year has been justified, and the Lower 6th can move forward to their final year with a real feeling of confidence in all they have achieved.
“The Lower 6th pupils must be congratulated for their results where top grades were achieved by over 45 per cent of the year group and the A-C pass rate was in excess of 68 per cent which is more than a 10 per cent improvement over the year before.
“Such results bode very well for the future.