LITTLEPORT: Eight cars and camper van burnt out in blaze that closed Fenland road
AN investigation gets under way today after one of the main roads through the Fens was closed yesterday as fire crews from across Cambridgeshire tackled a blaze which destroyed eight cars, a camper van and three temporary buildings.Firefighters found veh
AN investigation gets under way today after one of the main roads through the Fens was closed yesterday as fire crews from across Cambridgeshire tackled a blaze which destroyed eight cars, a camper van and three temporary buildings.
Firefighters found vehicles and buildings well-alight when they arrived at the property on Wisbech Road, Littleport, just before 1pm.
They were forced to withdraw to fight the fire from a safe distance after a number of gas cylinders behind the house exploded.
Incident commander Harry Edge said: "It was a tricky fire to tackle because of the scale of the fire and the fact gas cylinders were involved.
You may also want to watch:
"However we were able to cool the remaining cylinders and stop the fire spreading to the house."
The Littleport - Wisbech road was closed for more than two hours, as crews from Littleport, Ely, Soham and Cambridge, battled the flames.
- 1 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 2 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 3 Cafe boss throws hat in the ring for county election
- 4 Shotgun, fake cash and cannabis found at suspected dealer’s home
- 5 Five year mystery of what happened to modern day slavery victim
- 6 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 7 Urgent repairs at Wisbech Museum due to start
- 8 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 9 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 10 Civic business as usual for under fire Wisbech mayor
The cause of the fire remained unknown. Cambridgeshire fire service said an investigation would begin tomorrow.
At one stage fire crews had to stay some distance from the blaze for fear for further explosions.
• if you have photos from dramatic explosion or further information, please email: email@example.com