Collett & Son describe ‘safe passage’ of 170 tonne transformer and its 78 mile journey from Port Sutton Bridge to Cambridgeshire sub station
- Credit: Archant
Delivering a 170 tonne Hyundai transformer the 78 miles from Port Sutton Bridge to a sub station in Cambridgeshire took months of pre-planning to ensure a smooth operation.
Contractors Collett & Sons had warned households along the way and arranged police escorts and a contra flow to safely manoeuvre the 66m long, 4.8m high load on its way.
"Throughout the 78 mile route our team travelled through Long Sutton, Holbeach, Spalding, Peterborough, Stilton and Alconbury before arriving late afternoon at Eaton Socon," said a spokesman.
"Taking into account the 42.5m rigid length of the vehicle, our team undertook extensive swept path analysis and street furniture removal requirements to ensure safe passage of the convoy."
National Grid, Lincolnshire police, local councils, Highways England and their agent Kier all played their part in ensuring what Collett described as a "seamless delivery".
You may also want to watch:
The transformer will form part of the connection between the Eaton Socon and Little Barford substations.
The overall project will see equipment from the 1960's replaced which, in turn, will increase the capacity and help better secure the supply of electricity to homes and businesses in the Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire areas.
- 1 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 2 Loved by royalty, Wisbech museum gets life saving £616,000 grant
- 3 Thieves conspired to steal over £1million worth of high-end luxury cars
- 4 ‘It needs to get sorted’ - heartfelt plea after flood nightmare
- 5 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 6 Man jailed for trying to arrange sexual abuse of girls and woman
- 7 Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
- 8 Clean, green and affordable: choose market leader Nissan to start your electric motoring journey
- 9 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 10 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash