Life of a former Wisbech MP is remembered in a new book
- Credit: Archant
A former MP for Wisbech has had his life remembered in a new book by a local author.
Martin Gibson’s book, Captain Neil Primrose 1882-1917, charts the life of the son of Prime Minister, the Earl of Rosebery.
Captain Primrose was killed in World War I from wounds received in action in Palestine in 1917.
Mr Barclay said: “As we honour a number of centenaries linked to pivotal battles from the Great War, this timely publication reminds us of the huge sacrifices made by people of all backgrounds in that war, including by my predecessor as Member of Parliament for our area, Captain Primrose.
“As the son of a Prime Minister who was decorated for his bravery, and a former liberal chief whip, Captain Primrose is a fascinating figure.
You may also want to watch:
“Martin Gibson deserves great credit for shining a light on this important life from our local history and it is right and fitting that the Wisbech Society has now brought this to a wider audience.”
Last November, Mr Barclay arranged a remembrance service in the House of Commons to pay homage to the 19 MPs who died during the war.
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 3 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 4 Tesco staff self-isolate after being ‘pinged’ by track and trace
- 5 Mayor fumes over ‘amateur’ foster carers claim
- 6 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 8 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 9 Firefighters left tackling 'deliberate' car blaze for over an hour
- 10 Family of man who died at quarry plead with people not to swim
The book is now available to buy on the Wisbech Society website as well as in Etcetera in Wisbech.