Life of a former Wisbech MP is remembered in a new book
- Credit: Archant
A former MP for Wisbech has had his life remembered in a new book by a local author.
Martin Gibson’s book, Captain Neil Primrose 1882-1917, charts the life of the son of Prime Minister, the Earl of Rosebery.
Captain Primrose was killed in World War I from wounds received in action in Palestine in 1917.
Mr Barclay said: “As we honour a number of centenaries linked to pivotal battles from the Great War, this timely publication reminds us of the huge sacrifices made by people of all backgrounds in that war, including by my predecessor as Member of Parliament for our area, Captain Primrose.
“As the son of a Prime Minister who was decorated for his bravery, and a former liberal chief whip, Captain Primrose is a fascinating figure.
You may also want to watch:
“Martin Gibson deserves great credit for shining a light on this important life from our local history and it is right and fitting that the Wisbech Society has now brought this to a wider audience.”
Last November, Mr Barclay arranged a remembrance service in the House of Commons to pay homage to the 19 MPs who died during the war.
- 1 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 2 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 3 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 4 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 5 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 8 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 9 Fully-funded place at grammar school's sixth form available for one pupil
- 10 All you need to know about the new Vauxhall Mokka
The book is now available to buy on the Wisbech Society website as well as in Etcetera in Wisbech.