Lib Dems pick Harlow councillor now living in Fenland to fight NE Cambs seat
A NEW candidate is bidding to take over as North East Cambridgeshire s Member of Parliament. Lorna Spenceley will fight the seat for the Liberal Democrats after she was selected by her local association. She now hopes to campaign for a free and fair soc
A NEW candidate is bidding to take over as North East Cambridgeshire's Member of Parliament.
Lorna Spenceley will fight the seat for the Liberal Democrats after she was selected by her local association.
She now hopes to campaign for a "free and fair" society and wants to "look after our environment for the next generation".
Mrs Spenceley will take on Conservative Stephen Barclay and Labour's Peter Roberts in a bid to take over from Malcolm Moss, who stands down at the next election.
You may also want to watch:
The 51-year-old, who lives in Sutton, near Ely, said: "I am delighted to have been selected as the prospective Liberal Democrat MP for the constituency in which I live.
"I am looking forward to working with my local team across North East Cambridgeshire and am keen to meet as many people as possible during the campaign."
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 6 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
- 10 Room to improve as villagers fail to cope with rampant visitors
Mrs Spenceley, a Cambridge University graduate, will be hoping her attempt is fifth time lucky.
She unsuccessfully contested the Harlow seat in 1992, 1997, 2001 and 2005 but led the local council, either jointly or alone, between 2002 and 2005.
However her political enemies in Essex have accused her of "disservice" by refusing to resign her council seat - even though she has left the area.
She currently works as a Liberal Democrat administrator in the East of England, having previously worked in the voluntary sector.
Mrs Spenceley said: "It would be a privilege to serve the residents of North East Cambridgeshire as their Liberal Democrat MP.