Retired lawyer packs a punch with a musical dedicated to legendary boxer Muhammad Ali
- Credit: Archant
A retired solicitor has written a musical about legendary boxer Muhammad Ali to raise money for Great Ormond Street Hospital.
Michael Judkins has swapped briefing papers for musical score sheets and is on a mission to make a success of his musical project about the leading heavyweight American boxer.
To mark the occasion, many of those involved with the project to release the CD called Float Like A Butterfly, joined a launch gathering at La Margherita Restaurant in Cambridge.
Michael said: “My son Robert Judkins has been a pivotal contributor to the album, contributing all the bass parts along with some rhythm/acoustic playing, and some occasional lead fills.
“An invaluable support throughout, in many ways the backbone of the project.”
You may also want to watch:
The concept album about the 20th century international icon was recorded with help from a variety of singers and musicians.
Michael learned to play guitar fairly late in life and once he was able to master the chords to a few covers, moved on to try his hand at writing.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 3 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 4 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 5 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 8 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
He was inspired by the desire to put together a series of connected songs and decided the story of Muhammad Ali, incorporating his career as it began, progressed and then concluded, was a great choice.
He said: “He was a unique man who was far more than just a champion boxer.”
Michael spent some time researching his subject before coming up with the melodies and lyrics so that the story was told in some detail, and with a view to describing Ali’s life and achievements in as interesting a way as possible.
For fans of Muhammad Ali, or even for those who don’t know the story, it will hopefully be a fascinating listen, he said.
The CD is not intended as a commercial venture and, to coincide with the release, Michael has set up a Just Giving page www.justgiving.com/Michael-Judkins with donations invited to support the work of Great Ormond Street Hospital.
It is his hope that those receiving a copy of “Float like a Butterfly” will feel able, in return, to make a small donation towards this worthy cause.
A copy of Michael’s CD can be obtained by visiting his website www.float-like-a-butterfly.com