Labour chooses candidate to contest Wisbech by-elections
LABOUR has chosen its candidate to contest the Staithe by-election for a seat on Fenland District Council and Wisbech Town Council.
John White, who has lived in Wisbech all his life, has previously served on Fenland District Council and Wisbech Town Council.
He served as the vice chairman for Housing and Environment on Fenland District Council and continues to use his housing experience and expertise to help people by serving on the boards of three housing associations.
Outside of politics Mr White is an active member of the Royal Anglian Regiment Association and the Wisbech branch of the Royal British Legion, as well as serving on the committee of the Wisbech Museum.
Mr White said: “Wisbech is my home, I’ve lived here all my life and I know what matters to our community. I want to use my experience and expertise to serve my community as a councillor.
You may also want to watch:
“Local people are worried about anti-social behaviour around Boyce Road, as Cambridgeshire Police are set to lose 80 police officers as a result of Tory-led Government cuts.
“Residents also tell me how concerned they are about the state of the pavements in Bush Road and Claremont drive and about cars speeding through Fundrey Road, which Tory-led Cambridgeshire County Council are doing nothing to tackle.
- 1 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 4 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
- 5 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 6 Council tax frozen after eventful but non event year
- 7 Town council says market is operating safely and within Covid-19 guidelines
- 8 Man who headbutted and spat at HMRC officers told to expect jail
- 9 Ever get that sinking feeling?
- 10 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
“I know from my previous experience that councillors need to be accessible, hard-working and committed to fighting for the community they serve. If elected I would always stand-up for Wisbech and do what’s right for our community.”
Peter Roberts, chairman of Cambridgeshire County Labour Party, said: “As the Tory-led Government create a vicious circle in our economy by cutting too far, too fast- putting families and jobs at risk, Wisbech needs a Councillor who will fight for them and always be accessible.
“John has a proven record of fighting both for individuals and for the community as a whole, he will always be on the side of people in Wisbech.”
The by-election takes place on September 22.