Aron Beckett, 40, arrested on suspicion of theft and possession of a bladed article - he was found in Church Terrace, Wisbech, with a knife
- Credit: Archant
A 40-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of theft and possession of a knife with a three-inch blade in Wisbech town centre.
Police were called to reports of a theft from a shop in Church Terrace, Wisbech on November 13 at about 2.30pm.
Aron Beckett, of All Saints Close, WIsbech, is currently in custody in King’s Lynn but is due to appear at Cambridge Magistrates’ today (November 14).
The seizure of the weapon comes just two weeks after a county wide knife amnesty saw nearly 100 bladed items, including swords and machetes, handed in to police.
Twelve items were handed into Wisbech Police Station.
From July 2016 to June 2017 there were 220 possession of weapons offences in Cambridgeshire. Of these, 117 were in Peterborough, 49 in Cambridge and 12 in Wisbech.
During the week officers also visited retail outlets to discuss the law surrounding the sale of knives and seek their support for the amnesty.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 3 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 4 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 5 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 6 Wisbech family discover 'ultimate side hustle'
- 7 ‘Thank you, my NHS, you were simply amazing’
- 8 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 9 Recap: Air ambulance attends A47 crash near Wisbech
- 10 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
The constabulary has held four knife amnesties in the last year, resulting in 431 knives being recovered.