18 month sentence for youth who robbed woman, 70, at knifepoint in Wisbech car park
- Credit: Archant
A 16-year-old youth who robbed an elderly woman at knifepoint in a Wisbech car park has been sent to a detention centre for 18 months.
He appeared before magistrates at Huntingdon on December 31 when he admitted the theft of the 70 year-old woman's handbag.
He also admitted carrying with him and threatening the woman with a knife.
Magistrates said the detention was justified because of the nature of the offences - knifepoint robbery, an element of planning, and the threats made.
The incident happened in Somers Road car park on November 27.
You may also want to watch:
The youth got her away with her handbag after brandishing the knife.
He was detained later that day at his home.
- 1 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 2 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
- 3 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 4 Man who headbutted and spat at HMRC officers told to expect jail
- 5 Council tax frozen after eventful but non event year
- 6 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 7 Ever get that sinking feeling?
- 8 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 9 Animal firm 'left behind' in bid to stay afloat during pandemic
- 10 Town council says market is operating safely and within Covid-19 guidelines
The court said they had taken the defendant's guilty plea into account when imposing sentence.
A 15 year old girl was also arrested but was later released.
The defendant was also ordered to pay £32 "to fund victim services".
The knife has been destroyed.