Kitchen goes up in flames in Wisbech after washing machine fault, firefighters confirm

20 February, 2019 - 10:46
A fire started in a Wisbech home after a fault developed with a washing machine, Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue have revealed. Picture: TWITTER / @CAMBSFRS

A fire started in a Wisbech home after a fault developed with a washing machine, Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue have revealed. Picture: TWITTER / @CAMBSFRS

CAMBS FIRE

A house fire was caused in Wisbech yesterday evening after a fault developed with the homeowner’s washing machine, firefighters have revealed.

The blaze started at around 7.20pm on February 19 at the house on Kings Walk in the town – crews quickly realised the source of the fire was in the kitchen.

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue said: “Crews arrived to find a fire in the kitchen caused by a washing machine.

“At 7.26pm, one crew from Wisbech and one crew from March were called to the house fire on Kings Walk, Wisbech.

“Wearing breathing apparatus, firefighters used one hose reel and one jet to extinguish the fire. A positive pressure ventilation fan was used to clear the smoke.”

Firefighters tackled the kitchen fire for more than two hours before heading back to their Fenland stations for 9.45pm.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Wisbech Standard