Jury clears 'mummy's boy' of murder
A mummy s boy accused of murdering his mother, beating up his father and torching their caravan was today warned by his brother Come back to Wisbech and I ll kill you after a jury cleared him of all charges.Richard Branch, 42, of Turf Fen Bridge cara
A "mummy's boy" accused of murdering his mother, beating up his father and torching their caravan was today warned by his brother "Come back to Wisbech and I'll kill you" after a jury cleared him of all charges.
Richard Branch, 42, of Turf Fen Bridge caravan site at Murrow, near Wisbech, denied murdering 71-year-old Lavinia Branch on May 12 last year. He also pleaded not guilty to the attempted murder of his father Fred Branch, 77, and causing him grievous bodily harm on the same date.
A jury at Norwich Crown Court took eight-and-a-half hours to clear him of all charges.
The trial, which lasted just over two weeks, heard the Branch couple had been attacked by a lump hammer.
You may also want to watch:
Their caravan next door to Richard Branch's was set on fire and Mrs Branch perished in the blaze. Her husband managed to drag himself outside but suffered serious head injuries.
During his evidence, Branch had claimed: "While we're all here the murderer is still out there."
- 1 Former Fen pupil’s McLaren supercar work leads to national award
- 2 Busy month as port handles nine ships in May
- 3 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 4 Couple swap healthcare for glamping with new venture
- 5 Damning care home report reveals all areas ‘require improvement’
- 6 Campsite owner's pledge to conserve water meadow
- 7 Two mystery sinkholes appear across town during scorching weekend
- 8 Free public transport app launched to help Cambs passengers
- 9 RAF Lakenheath fly-over in memory of US airman Kenneth ‘Kage’ Allen
The Branch family had been present for much of the trial and reacted angrily at the verdict.
The defendant's brother, Billy Haylock, swore loudly at Richard Branch from the public gallery and added: "Come back to Wisbech and I'll kill you.