Jungle adventurer students raise funds for Borneo trip
- Credit: Archant
A quiz night at Thomas Clarkson Academy will help students raise funds for the trip of a lifetime to the jungles of Borneo.
The students will be helping raise living standards for rural communities and getting involved in ongoing conservation projects.
The five students, who will be in Years 11 to 13 when they go next summer, will be living as part of a rural community and could be building schools or children’s homes, creating a community garden or taking part in forest regeneration.
Teacher Olly Mackett, who is co-ordinating the trip through Camps International, said: “This will be a four week expedition where they will be involved in community development work and wildlife conservation.
“The students have been working really hard to raise the money they need to fund the materials and resources needed, as well as their travel expenses, but really need some help to reach their goal.”
You may also want to watch:
Each student needs to raise £3,960 by May and local businesses and individuals are being asked for donations.
The students have been raising cash by mowing lawns, washing cars and painting fences.
- 1 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 2 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 5 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 6 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 7 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 10 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
They have also planned a series of fund-raising events, including a cake sale, raffle and bingo, and Mr Mackett and fellow teacher Mr Hudson have signed up for a sponsored leg wax.
Student Courtney Wakeham, who is going on the trip, said: “I’m excited about making a change and seeing how people live. It’s going to be good to spend a month without luxuries.
“We’ll be spending a week in the jungle where we’ll have to make our own hammocks to sleep in.”
Anyone who would like to sponsor the young explorers should contact Mr Mackett at Thomas Clarkson Academy on 01945 585237 or email email@example.com
The quiz will take place in the school’s theatre on Thursday December 11 at 7.30pm. Doors open at 7pm. Teams of up to six people can take place at a cost of £2 per person.