Jungle adventurer students raise funds for Borneo trip
- Credit: Archant
A quiz night at Thomas Clarkson Academy will help students raise funds for the trip of a lifetime to the jungles of Borneo.
The students will be helping raise living standards for rural communities and getting involved in ongoing conservation projects.
The five students, who will be in Years 11 to 13 when they go next summer, will be living as part of a rural community and could be building schools or children’s homes, creating a community garden or taking part in forest regeneration.
Teacher Olly Mackett, who is co-ordinating the trip through Camps International, said: “This will be a four week expedition where they will be involved in community development work and wildlife conservation.
“The students have been working really hard to raise the money they need to fund the materials and resources needed, as well as their travel expenses, but really need some help to reach their goal.”
You may also want to watch:
Each student needs to raise £3,960 by May and local businesses and individuals are being asked for donations.
The students have been raising cash by mowing lawns, washing cars and painting fences.
- 1 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 2 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 5 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 6 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 7 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 8 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 9 60 care home residents and staff vaccinated
- 10 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
They have also planned a series of fund-raising events, including a cake sale, raffle and bingo, and Mr Mackett and fellow teacher Mr Hudson have signed up for a sponsored leg wax.
Student Courtney Wakeham, who is going on the trip, said: “I’m excited about making a change and seeing how people live. It’s going to be good to spend a month without luxuries.
“We’ll be spending a week in the jungle where we’ll have to make our own hammocks to sleep in.”
Anyone who would like to sponsor the young explorers should contact Mr Mackett at Thomas Clarkson Academy on 01945 585237 or email email@example.com
The quiz will take place in the school’s theatre on Thursday December 11 at 7.30pm. Doors open at 7pm. Teams of up to six people can take place at a cost of £2 per person.