Jungle adventurer students raise funds for Borneo trip
- Credit: Archant
A quiz night at Thomas Clarkson Academy will help students raise funds for the trip of a lifetime to the jungles of Borneo.
The students will be helping raise living standards for rural communities and getting involved in ongoing conservation projects.
The five students, who will be in Years 11 to 13 when they go next summer, will be living as part of a rural community and could be building schools or children’s homes, creating a community garden or taking part in forest regeneration.
Teacher Olly Mackett, who is co-ordinating the trip through Camps International, said: “This will be a four week expedition where they will be involved in community development work and wildlife conservation.
“The students have been working really hard to raise the money they need to fund the materials and resources needed, as well as their travel expenses, but really need some help to reach their goal.”
You may also want to watch:
Each student needs to raise £3,960 by May and local businesses and individuals are being asked for donations.
The students have been raising cash by mowing lawns, washing cars and painting fences.
- 1 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 2 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 3 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 4 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 5 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 Burnouts, revving engines and upset shoppers lead to dispersal order
- 9 Mayor to walk in high heels at sponsored walk
- 10 Five generations of family members meet up for the first time
They have also planned a series of fund-raising events, including a cake sale, raffle and bingo, and Mr Mackett and fellow teacher Mr Hudson have signed up for a sponsored leg wax.
Student Courtney Wakeham, who is going on the trip, said: “I’m excited about making a change and seeing how people live. It’s going to be good to spend a month without luxuries.
“We’ll be spending a week in the jungle where we’ll have to make our own hammocks to sleep in.”
Anyone who would like to sponsor the young explorers should contact Mr Mackett at Thomas Clarkson Academy on 01945 585237 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The quiz will take place in the school’s theatre on Thursday December 11 at 7.30pm. Doors open at 7pm. Teams of up to six people can take place at a cost of £2 per person.