Jim dropped off this delightful photo of railway staff enjoying a celebration just after the war in
A CHUM of mine, Jim Eagle, drops off this photo taken around 1945-6 at a British Rail retirement party in Wisbech. Jim says the railway staff of the Wisbech L N E R had gotten together for a retirement party but sadly he can t recall the person who was le
A CHUM of mine, Jim Eagle, drops off this photo taken around 1945-6 at a British Rail retirement party in Wisbech.
Jim says the railway staff of the Wisbech L N E R had gotten together for a retirement party but sadly he can't recall the person who was leaving.
He does, however, recall Sidney Hiner, the station master photographed making the presentation.
He also recalls some of the others in the photo including Bob Spencer, a relief signal man, Mrs Spencer, Charlie Rands, engine driver, Keith Rand (Charlie's son) and Diane Ward with other staff from the goods office.
You may also want to watch:
He also says a young lady by the name of Esmy is in the photo whose father was station foreman.
"Bob Spencer used to run a concert party and was quite a character and could play numerous musical instruments," says Jim who spent some happy times on the railways in Fenland before moving into agriculture.
- 1 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 2 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 3 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 4 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 5 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 6 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 7 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 8 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 9 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 10 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer