Jim dropped off this delightful photo of railway staff enjoying a celebration just after the war in
A CHUM of mine, Jim Eagle, drops off this photo taken around 1945-6 at a British Rail retirement party in Wisbech. Jim says the railway staff of the Wisbech L N E R had gotten together for a retirement party but sadly he can t recall the person who was le
A CHUM of mine, Jim Eagle, drops off this photo taken around 1945-6 at a British Rail retirement party in Wisbech.
Jim says the railway staff of the Wisbech L N E R had gotten together for a retirement party but sadly he can't recall the person who was leaving.
He does, however, recall Sidney Hiner, the station master photographed making the presentation.
He also recalls some of the others in the photo including Bob Spencer, a relief signal man, Mrs Spencer, Charlie Rands, engine driver, Keith Rand (Charlie's son) and Diane Ward with other staff from the goods office.
You may also want to watch:
He also says a young lady by the name of Esmy is in the photo whose father was station foreman.
"Bob Spencer used to run a concert party and was quite a character and could play numerous musical instruments," says Jim who spent some happy times on the railways in Fenland before moving into agriculture.
- 1 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 2 Man in critical condition after single-vehicle crash
- 3 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 4 'Software error' blamed for town council election mix up
- 5 Podcast revisits the mysterious missing case of Terry McSpadden
- 6 Five fire crews called to building blaze
- 7 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 8 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 9 110-year-old church gates reappear following £400 makeover
- 10 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months