Is Budgens on the verge of quitting Wisbech Horsefair - just months after moving in?
- Credit: Archant
Budgens are reported to be on the brink of pulling out of the Horsefair, Wisbech – less than nine months after opening a store there.
It was one of 36 former Somerfield stores, later acquired by the Co-op, that were brought up last year by the Food Retailer Group.
Horsefair manager Kevin Smith said he was aware of the reports which he suspected had come from staff working there.
“What is going to happen to the store? – no one knows,” said Mr Smith who added that Budgens continued to trade normally amidst the uncertainty.
He agreed Wisbech had a “very competitive” offer in terms of supermarkets but felt the Horsefair, with its prime town centre location, remained an attractive proposition for food retailers.
You may also want to watch:
“Its prime location is a God send for many customers who like the convenience of being able to shop here,” said Mr Smith.
- 1 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 2 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 3 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 4 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 5 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 6 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 7 A10 speed limit reduced at Waterbeach after death of baby Louis Thorold
- 8 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 9 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
- 10 Fens crime gang ‘boss’ jailed