Is Budgens on the verge of quitting Wisbech Horsefair - just months after moving in?
- Credit: Archant
Budgens are reported to be on the brink of pulling out of the Horsefair, Wisbech – less than nine months after opening a store there.
It was one of 36 former Somerfield stores, later acquired by the Co-op, that were brought up last year by the Food Retailer Group.
Horsefair manager Kevin Smith said he was aware of the reports which he suspected had come from staff working there.
“What is going to happen to the store? – no one knows,” said Mr Smith who added that Budgens continued to trade normally amidst the uncertainty.
He agreed Wisbech had a “very competitive” offer in terms of supermarkets but felt the Horsefair, with its prime town centre location, remained an attractive proposition for food retailers.
You may also want to watch:
“Its prime location is a God send for many customers who like the convenience of being able to shop here,” said Mr Smith.
- 1 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 2 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 3 Dogs 'whining and crying' claims kennels objector
- 4 Wisbech boss confident of upturn in fortunes thanks to new-look squad
- 5 Uninsured speeder clocked 111mph with unrestrained child in the car
- 6 Two appear in court for murder after victim dies from 2006 assault
- 7 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 8 Knife wielding teenager who terrorised family jailed for seven years
- 9 ‘King of Salvage’ YouTuber buys ex-Cambridgeshire criminal’s supercar
- 10 Lockdown fails to dampen spirits at Wisbech Rugby Club