Is Budgens on the verge of quitting Wisbech Horsefair - just months after moving in?
- Credit: Archant
Budgens are reported to be on the brink of pulling out of the Horsefair, Wisbech – less than nine months after opening a store there.
It was one of 36 former Somerfield stores, later acquired by the Co-op, that were brought up last year by the Food Retailer Group.
Horsefair manager Kevin Smith said he was aware of the reports which he suspected had come from staff working there.
“What is going to happen to the store? – no one knows,” said Mr Smith who added that Budgens continued to trade normally amidst the uncertainty.
He agreed Wisbech had a “very competitive” offer in terms of supermarkets but felt the Horsefair, with its prime town centre location, remained an attractive proposition for food retailers.
You may also want to watch:
“Its prime location is a God send for many customers who like the convenience of being able to shop here,” said Mr Smith.
- 1 Police accuse Wisbech mayor and pub landlord of 'insulting disregard' to licensing objectives
- 2 Jail for sex offender who went abroad and missed his appointments
- 3 LETTER: High Covid rates in Wisbech and 'sceptic' councillors?
- 4 Two-car collision on A47
- 5 Port of Wisbech continues to defy the trend with 'remarkable' turnout
- 6 Police arrest 13 people, seize guns and more than £200k of drugs
- 7 Mini digger worth around £14,000 stolen from building site overnight
- 8 Rail travel in the Fens is going to be much nicer
- 9 Horror crash all because BMW driver left home with frozen windscreen
- 10 A 42-bedroom hotel with ballroom and set in three acres for sale