Police crackdown on illegally parked cars sees 17 ticketed in just one afternoon in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
Seventeen illegally parked vehicles were ticketed by police in just one afternoon in Wisbech – at £30 a time.
“There are numerous free car parks in Wisbech so please make use of them,” said a police spokesman sharing the news on the Facebook page Policing Wisbech.
Retired county councillor Alan Lay captured 15 of the illegally parked cars or vans on camera after spending the same afternoon walking around the town.
He said: “It is an everyday occurrence of the blatant and total disregard for traffic laws and common sense.
“The local police state they issue about 100 tickets a month at £30 each. It should be 100 tickets per day totalling £3,000.”
You may also want to watch:
Fenland district councillor Virginia Bucknor called the crackdown “excellent news” instead of “people having to take their pushchairs and wheelchairs into the road because of selfish inconsiderate drivers”.
However one person said on Facebook: “But why not have traffic wardens so police can do more important work?”
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 4 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 5 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 6 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 7 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 8 Ambulance charity first in East to transfer Covid-19 patients by air
- 9 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 10 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
Another added: “Well done but it needs doing on a regular basis - not enough every now and then.”