Husband and wife ditch Fenland for France - and start business offering classic car breaks
A HUSBAND and wife team with a passion for classic cars have turned their hobby into a business for fellow enthusiasts. Derek and Jane Little have launched Classic Car Breaks based in the south of France and are hoping many of thei
Story by: MAGGIE GIBSON
A HUSBAND and wife team with a passion for classic cars have turned their hobby into a business for fellow enthusiasts.
Derek and Jane Little have launched Classic Car Breaks based in the south of France and are hoping many of their Fenland friends will be making the trip out to see them.
The couple, who married in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, moved from Tholomas Drove three years ago to live the good life in the sunshine.
You may also want to watch:
After spending a long time developing their ideas they are now open for business. Jane said: "We have always been interested in classic cars and we knew that this part of France would be perfect for classic car motoring.
"The climate is fantastic, the countryside beautiful, and we have many interesting places to visit nearby."
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 6 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
- 10 Room to improve as villagers fail to cope with rampant visitors
While the empty roads and sunny climate make the area very attractive for classic car enthusiasts, the couple realised many would be reluctant to put a lot of miles on their own cars.
Jane said: "We offer luxury self-catering accommodation with the use of one of our classic open-topped cars.
"Guests can fly here and we collect them from the airport, bring them back to their luxury accommodation and hand over the keys to their car.
"We find many guests are booking for a long weekend or a short break, and do not want to spend it travelling."
The couple settled quickly into French life but soon got to know the locals thanks to their other pets, two rather large pigs which travelled with them from the Fens. Pickles and Bailey, originally rescued from Wood Green Animal Shelter, have become local celebrities.
Derek said: "Hunting is very popular in this part of France, with wild boar top of the list. The French found it quite a challenge to understand anybody keeping pigs as pets. However, their popularity helped us to get to know our neighbours."
Jane added: "We have kept ties with the Fens and visit as often as we can. Hopefully now we are open for business, and with regular cheap flights to our area from Stansted and Midlands airports, we will see many of our friends in France."
• For further information email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.classiccarbreaksinfrance.com.