Rescued common seal pups head back into the North Sea after being cared for by the Sea Life Centre at Hunstanton
- Credit: Archant
Six rescued common seal pups made their way to the sea and into the water at Hunstanton after spending several months rehabilitating at the Sea Life Sanctuary Seal Rescue Centre.
The recovered seals had been saved from various locations in Norfolk over the spring and summer months. Many of which arrived at the sanctuary after being discovered abandoned, injured and in need of help by trained professionals.
Nicky Nelson, animal care team member said “It’s been another busy seal pup season in Norfolk. Over the summer there were several occasions when the seal hospital was at full capacity”
“The team has worked incredibly hard, each season you’re prepared for it to be physically draining, night feeds and physical work all takes its toll. What you don’t expect is the emotional side. Each little face that looks up at you when you get to work in the morning, you embark on a new journey with.”
“It’s very satisfying to see the pups return to the water, healthy and strong. This makes the hard work unquestionably worth it” Nicky finished.
You may also want to watch:
The sanctuaries seal rescue centre has taken in over 58 common and grey seals since January, very nearly surpassing previous years. It’s estimated each seal on average costs the sanctuary over £2,000 to rehabilitate and hundreds of hours of devoted care and attention by the specialist team.
Each pup season the sanctuary team decide on a naming theme for the rescued seal pups and they are currently looking to the public to help choose the theme for the approaching grey seal pup season. You can share your ideas by messaging the Hunstanton Sea Life Sanctuary Facebook page where one person’s suggestion will be selected by the team.
- 1 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 2 Frightened cancer patient with Covid relieved as hospital extend stay
- 3 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
- 4 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 5 Man charged with drink driving, possession of a knife and cannabis
- 6 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 7 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 8 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 9 Suspected hare coursers get 4x4 stuck after crashing nose first in ditch
- 10 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
Released seals include; Ballet, Morris, Shuffle, Agadoo, Macarena and Vogue.