House fire in Wisbech prompts advice for owners of woodburners
- Credit: Archant
A house fire in Wisbech which was started in the flue of a woodburner has led to a warning from the Cambridgeshire Fire & Rescue Service.
Firefighters were called to Burrettgate Road just after 3am on Sunday (January 29) and used a thermal imaging camera to look for hotspots within the woodburner.
They used a hose reel to extinguish the fire before returning to their station by 5.50am.
Kevin Napier, head of community fire safety for the Cambridgeshire Fire & Rescue Service, said: “If you are buying a woodburner make sure you get it fitted or installed by an expert and follow the manufacturer’s guidance on use.
“During the current cold spell we would also like to remind people with both woodburners and chimneys to have them cleaned if they haven’t been swept during the past year.
You may also want to watch:
“Anyone with open fires or a log burner should also make sure they have carbon monoxide alarms as well as smoke alarms.”
For more safety advice or to find an approved retailer, installer and chimney sweep in your area visit www.hetas.co.uk
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 5 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
- 6 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 7 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 8 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 9 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 10 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
Hetas is the official body recognised by the Government to approve biomass and solid fuel heating appliances, fuels and services including the registration of competent installers and servicing businesses.