House fire in Wisbech prompts advice for owners of woodburners

PUBLISHED: 12:14 31 January 2017 | UPDATED: 12:14 31 January 2017

House fire in Wisbech prompts advice for owners of woodburners.

House fire in Wisbech prompts advice for owners of woodburners.

Archant

A house fire in Wisbech which was started in the flue of a woodburner has led to a warning from the Cambridgeshire Fire & Rescue Service.

Firefighters were called to Burrettgate Road just after 3am on Sunday (January 29) and used a thermal imaging camera to look for hotspots within the woodburner.

They used a hose reel to extinguish the fire before returning to their station by 5.50am.

Kevin Napier, head of community fire safety for the Cambridgeshire Fire & Rescue Service, said: “If you are buying a woodburner make sure you get it fitted or installed by an expert and follow the manufacturer’s guidance on use.

“During the current cold spell we would also like to remind people with both woodburners and chimneys to have them cleaned if they haven’t been swept during the past year.

“Anyone with open fires or a log burner should also make sure they have carbon monoxide alarms as well as smoke alarms.”

For more safety advice or to find an approved retailer, installer and chimney sweep in your area visit www.hetas.co.uk

Hetas is the official body recognised by the Government to approve biomass and solid fuel heating appliances, fuels and services including the registration of competent installers and servicing businesses.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Wisbech Standard