Don’t dine alone campaign invites local elderly people to a meal at a Marshland St James care home
- Credit: Archant
A Fenland care home is opening it’s doors for Christmas dinner to people from the community to help tackle loneliness.
Elderly people who usually eat alone are invited to join the residents and teams at Hickathrift House in Marshland St James throughout December for a free meal.
The home is inviting people in the community on Christmas Day and Boxing day but say people are welcome on any other days in the run up to Christmas or over the festive break.
Ceri Mills, general manager at Hickathrift House, said: “Loneliness can be a big problem for elderly people, especially as the weather gets colder.
“Our doors are always open to new friends of the home. If you, or anyone you know, is interested in joining us for a three course meal, please contact us on 01945 430636 to book a place. We look forward to seeing you.”
You may also want to watch:
Diners will be treated to a lunch in the home’s dining room. Guests will have a chance to chat to the home’s staff and residents, while enjoying their food, and will be able to take part in planned activities with those at the home after their meal.
The home’s head chef will be producing a range of dishes to cover varied individual dietary needs and preferences, so diners are able to eat to their fill accompanied with a wide selection of beverages.
- 1 Loft gives up its secret: £60,000 of cannabis plants
- 2 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 3 Police finally pull car from Fens river
- 4 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 5 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 6 Camp Beagle protest arrest on suspicion of ‘intimidation’
- 7 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
- 8 Six-year-old fundraising for air ambulance charity that helped sister during seizure
- 9 Survey finds staggering 97 cent support for new Aldi store
- 10 446 catalytic converter thefts in just 8 months reported in Cambridgeshire
The ‘Don’t Dine Alone’ initiative was launched by care provider Barchester Healthcare as a way to reach out to isolated or vulnerable members of their local communities.