Don’t dine alone campaign invites local elderly people to a meal at a Marshland St James care home
- Credit: Archant
A Fenland care home is opening it’s doors for Christmas dinner to people from the community to help tackle loneliness.
Elderly people who usually eat alone are invited to join the residents and teams at Hickathrift House in Marshland St James throughout December for a free meal.
The home is inviting people in the community on Christmas Day and Boxing day but say people are welcome on any other days in the run up to Christmas or over the festive break.
Ceri Mills, general manager at Hickathrift House, said: “Loneliness can be a big problem for elderly people, especially as the weather gets colder.
“Our doors are always open to new friends of the home. If you, or anyone you know, is interested in joining us for a three course meal, please contact us on 01945 430636 to book a place. We look forward to seeing you.”
You may also want to watch:
Diners will be treated to a lunch in the home’s dining room. Guests will have a chance to chat to the home’s staff and residents, while enjoying their food, and will be able to take part in planned activities with those at the home after their meal.
The home’s head chef will be producing a range of dishes to cover varied individual dietary needs and preferences, so diners are able to eat to their fill accompanied with a wide selection of beverages.
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council
- 4 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 5 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 6 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 7 Food delivery service Deliveroo launches in ‘next couple of months’
- 8 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 9 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 10 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
The ‘Don’t Dine Alone’ initiative was launched by care provider Barchester Healthcare as a way to reach out to isolated or vulnerable members of their local communities.