Hero runs in to burning bungalow on Colvile Road, Newton, Wisbech, to save elderly man - three people taken to hospital
- Credit: Archant
A terraced bungalow on Colvile Road, Newton, was destroyed by fire last night, leaving three people hospitalised.
The occupant of the affected property was out of the bungalow when the fire service arrived and was taken to hospital by ambulance.
However, a male casualty from the adjacent bungalow had difficultly in leaving his home.
A member of the public feared the fire would spread and, before the fire service arrived, went in to the neighbouring bungalow and rescued the man.
Both were taken to hospital by ambulance to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Crews from Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire’s Fire and Rescue Services were called to the blaze just after 9.30pm, as well as the East of England Ambulance Service. The services worked alongside each other at the scene.
Eight firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used hose reels, jets and hydrants to extinguish the fire by 11.15pm.
- 1 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 2 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 3 Wisbech family discover 'ultimate side hustle'
- 4 ‘Thank you, my NHS, you were simply amazing’
- 5 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 6 Off duty nurse saves a man's life by performing CPR
- 7 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 8 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 9 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 10 Recap: Air ambulance attends A47 crash near Wisbech
Ady Slack, incident commander, said: “It is believed the fire started in the main living room of the property where the occupant was asleep.
“He woke up when the fire was already well established and was very lucky to get out of the property.
“Thankfully, concerned neighbours called 999 to alert the fire service of the smoke, enabling our crews to arrive and prevent the fire from spreading to any of the adjacent bungalows.
“The bungalow in which the fire started has been 100 per cent affected by fire, which also has caused damage to the roof.”
The cause of the fire is under investigation.