Heater bought for people sleeping rough in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
A portable gas heater/ cooker has been bought for people sleeping rough in Wisbech after money was raised by the Fenland branch of Unite Community Union.
The heater and a supply of gas canisters were delivered by branch chair Amy Broad to homeless couple Jenny and Joe.
“It’s shocking that in one of the world’s richest countries anyone should have to sleep rough,” said Amy.
“A home is a human right. In the Wisbech area at any one time there are around 50 people who will be suffering the cold and damp this Christmas and all over the country there are thousands more.
“While we’re in our safe, warm homes enjoying the holiday with family and friends spare a thought for them.
“Our union wanted to make life a bit more bearable for Jenny and Joe and their friends.”
Unite say they are calling on MPs and local councillors to “do their jobs” and “make it a priority in 2019 to house all these people in need”.
- 1 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 4 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 5 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 6 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
- 7 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Tribute to ‘much-loved’ school worker who died suddenly in Wisbech
- 9 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 10 ‘Sudden death’ reported at Nene and Ramnoth School in Wisbech
The group work on important issues for a fairer deal for people and hold regular local meetings and welcomes new members. Anyone can join.
For more information contact Steve at: firstname.lastname@example.org