Heater bought for people sleeping rough in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
A portable gas heater/ cooker has been bought for people sleeping rough in Wisbech after money was raised by the Fenland branch of Unite Community Union.
The heater and a supply of gas canisters were delivered by branch chair Amy Broad to homeless couple Jenny and Joe.
“It’s shocking that in one of the world’s richest countries anyone should have to sleep rough,” said Amy.
“A home is a human right. In the Wisbech area at any one time there are around 50 people who will be suffering the cold and damp this Christmas and all over the country there are thousands more.
“While we’re in our safe, warm homes enjoying the holiday with family and friends spare a thought for them.
You may also want to watch:
“Our union wanted to make life a bit more bearable for Jenny and Joe and their friends.”
Unite say they are calling on MPs and local councillors to “do their jobs” and “make it a priority in 2019 to house all these people in need”.
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council
- 4 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 5 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 6 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 7 Food delivery service Deliveroo launches in ‘next couple of months’
- 8 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 9 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 10 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
The group work on important issues for a fairer deal for people and hold regular local meetings and welcomes new members. Anyone can join.
For more information contact Steve at: firstname.lastname@example.org