Heater bought for people sleeping rough in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
A portable gas heater/ cooker has been bought for people sleeping rough in Wisbech after money was raised by the Fenland branch of Unite Community Union.
The heater and a supply of gas canisters were delivered by branch chair Amy Broad to homeless couple Jenny and Joe.
“It’s shocking that in one of the world’s richest countries anyone should have to sleep rough,” said Amy.
“A home is a human right. In the Wisbech area at any one time there are around 50 people who will be suffering the cold and damp this Christmas and all over the country there are thousands more.
“While we’re in our safe, warm homes enjoying the holiday with family and friends spare a thought for them.
You may also want to watch:
“Our union wanted to make life a bit more bearable for Jenny and Joe and their friends.”
Unite say they are calling on MPs and local councillors to “do their jobs” and “make it a priority in 2019 to house all these people in need”.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 Watches and electric display box stolen in village burglary
- 5 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 6 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
The group work on important issues for a fairer deal for people and hold regular local meetings and welcomes new members. Anyone can join.
For more information contact Steve at: firstname.lastname@example.org