Happy birthday! Wisbech’s Nora and Edna celebrate 100th and 102nd birthdays with summer tea party and surprise mayoral visit
- Credit: Archant
Two residents at a Wisbech care home celebrated their 100th and 102nd birthdays at the weekend with a summer tea party – and a surprise visit from the town’s mayor.
Nora Drew and Edna Cooper, who live at Rose Lodge Care Home, marked the milestone occasions with a day full of music, dancing, cocktails and cake followed by a strawberry tea and buffet.
The Mayor of Wisbech, Councillor Steve Tierney, came along on the day to wish both centenarians a happy birthday.
Cllr Tierney said: “It was a great honour to visit Rose Lodge Care Home in North Ward/Waterlees and wish the delightful Nora Drew and Edna Cooper happy returns for their birthdays.
“They didn’t know I was coming, or that I was bringing flowers, so it was nice to be able to surprise them. I wish them both all the best.
You may also want to watch:
When she turned 100, Edna said “solving crossword puzzles and reading” have helped keep her sprightly.
Family joined Edna Cooper to celebrate her big birthday at Rose Lodge Care Home where she lives.
- 1 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 2 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 3 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 4 New independent funeral service opens in Wisbech
- 5 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 6 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 7 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 8 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 9 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 10 Tories retain Octavia Hill ward in by election
Mrs Cooper grew up and lived in Bolton but moved to Wisbech in the 1980s to be nearer family.
She had one son Eric Somerville who is a retired GP in Wisbech.
Mrs Cooper has a love of painting and one of her pieces of work is displayed at the home where she lives.
For her 100th birthday, staff at the care home made Edna a throne so she could be a queen for the day.
“She is a very active, fit and happy lady,” said deputy manager Megan Jones.
“It is a real achievement to get to 102 and be so well.”