H20 snooker club in Wisbech makes bid to extend opening hours and become night club but faces police opposition
- Credit: Archant
A snooker club in Wisbech wants to become a night club ... but their plans could be scuppered by police.
H20 in Chapel Road has applied to Fenland District Council’s licensing committee for a premises licence, which would allow it to stay open until 3am seven days a week. On New Year’s Eve, they would stay open until 4.30am.
The venue would continue to show sport and would host live music.
But police are concerned opening until 3am could cause an increase in alcohol related crime at a time of night when they have reduced numbers.
PC Philip Richardson said: “There is a significant decrease in policing availability at 3am and this can be further reduced with officers already engaged in dealing with alcohol related incidents in custody.
“Closure of the venue at 3am and allowing a number of persons at various levels of intoxication is likely to result in an increased number of calls for service in relation to alcohol related offences.
“The area is within the community impact zone and persons leaving the venue from 3am onwards are likely to cause a negative impact on the community as there are a large number of residential properties in the area.”
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 3 Man arrested in Wisbech after illegally entering UK three times
- 4 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 5 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 10 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
Over the past three years total violent crime, criminal damage and anti-social behaviour has decreased in Wisbech town centre.
But alcohol-related crimes and incidents have increased since 2009, with 65.2 per cent of alcohol related violent crimes occurring between 7pm and 4am the following morning.
The hearing takes place on January 6.