“Great” on-call firefighter who has been saving lives in Wisbech for 26 years calls it a day
- Credit: Archant
A dedicated on-call Wisbech firefighter has hung up his helmet after 26 years.
Graham Brighty, 56, who joined Cambs Fire and Rescue Service (CFRS) in July 1988, retired last month.
He was presented with a firefighting figurine by Area Commander Maurice Moore in recognition of his service to Wisbech and the surrounding communities.
The on-call crew at Wisbech Fire Station also presented flowers to his wife.
Watch Commander Phil Pilbeam said: “It was a pleasure working with Graham and he was a great firefighter.
You may also want to watch:
“During his time with the Service he attended hundreds of incidents and even led members of the station in numerous collision extrication competitions, representing CFRS at a national level.
“He also reached the rank of crew commander but later relinquished his rank owing to work commitments. He ended his career doing the job he loved, which was being a firefighter.”
- 1 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 2 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 3 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 4 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 5 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 6 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
- 7 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 8 Showcase status for Academy
- 9 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 10 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
Area Commander Maurice Moore added: “We thank Graham and his family for tirelessly dedicating more than 26 years’ service to the people of Wisbech and indeed Cambridgeshire.
“On-call firefighters are an important part of our workforce and it’s committed people like Graham who help keep their communities safer.”
Wisbech is recruiting on-call firefighters. If you are over 18, live or work five minutes of the town’s fire station and are interested in finding out more, visit the crew on drill night every Thursday 7-9pm, or log on to www.cambsfire.gov.uk.