"Grandad", a regular customer at Indian takeaway, celebrates 100th birthday
A MAN who retired from work at the age of 83 and is the oldest regular customer of an Indian takeaway, celebrated his 100th birthday with a family party. Stanley Barber, of Sutton Bridge, known by many as Granddad , enjoyed a party at the Robert Hall Cen
A MAN who retired from work at the age of 83 and is the oldest regular customer of an Indian takeaway, celebrated his 100th birthday with a family party.
Stanley Barber, of Sutton Bridge, known by many as "Granddad", enjoyed a party at the Robert Hall Centre in Wisbech.
The party was attended by his only son Robin and his wife Pat; his three grandchildren: Susan who lives in Gorefield, Andrew who lives in Lithuania and Emma who lives in Spalding; and their partners.
Stanley's seven great-grandchildren - Amy, Lauren, Jessica, Ellie, Erin, Sonny and Phoebe, who live in Gorefield and King's Lynn - also enjoyed the party.
Stanley was born and brought up in Sutton Bridge with his two brothers and one sister, all of whom are now deceased.
His father was killed on the Somme early in the First World War, and his mother was killed in an accident when he was still young.
- 1 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 2 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 3 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 4 Painter who captured town before 1978 floods finishes 44 years on
- 5 Voi trial ‘confuses people’ about illegal e-scooters
- 6 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 7 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
- 8 Drought officially declared in East Anglian region
- 9 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 10 Chip shop’s new platter dish ‘The Great Gordon’ tribute to late founder
He married Jenny in 1938 and they lived happily together until she died in 1978, aged 65.
Stanley worked as a mechanic at all three of the garages which used to exist in Sutton Bridge, finally retiring from Leeson's Garage aged 83 to devote more time to his hobby of fishing - which he didn't start until 1980.
It soon became his passion and he even fished in Lithuania at the age of 98 when visiting grandson Andrew.
Stanley also loves Indian food, and when he visits Robin twice a week in Wisbech he goes to the Alishan Restaurant. He is the restaurant's oldest regular customer.