"Grandad", a regular customer at Indian takeaway, celebrates 100th birthday
A MAN who retired from work at the age of 83 and is the oldest regular customer of an Indian takeaway, celebrated his 100th birthday with a family party. Stanley Barber, of Sutton Bridge, known by many as Granddad , enjoyed a party at the Robert Hall Cen
A MAN who retired from work at the age of 83 and is the oldest regular customer of an Indian takeaway, celebrated his 100th birthday with a family party.
Stanley Barber, of Sutton Bridge, known by many as "Granddad", enjoyed a party at the Robert Hall Centre in Wisbech.
The party was attended by his only son Robin and his wife Pat; his three grandchildren: Susan who lives in Gorefield, Andrew who lives in Lithuania and Emma who lives in Spalding; and their partners.
Stanley's seven great-grandchildren - Amy, Lauren, Jessica, Ellie, Erin, Sonny and Phoebe, who live in Gorefield and King's Lynn - also enjoyed the party.
You may also want to watch:
Stanley was born and brought up in Sutton Bridge with his two brothers and one sister, all of whom are now deceased.
His father was killed on the Somme early in the First World War, and his mother was killed in an accident when he was still young.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 5 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 6 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
- 10 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
He married Jenny in 1938 and they lived happily together until she died in 1978, aged 65.
Stanley worked as a mechanic at all three of the garages which used to exist in Sutton Bridge, finally retiring from Leeson's Garage aged 83 to devote more time to his hobby of fishing - which he didn't start until 1980.
It soon became his passion and he even fished in Lithuania at the age of 98 when visiting grandson Andrew.
Stanley also loves Indian food, and when he visits Robin twice a week in Wisbech he goes to the Alishan Restaurant. He is the restaurant's oldest regular customer.