Grammar School's sports teams enjoy tour - and test matches - in Barbados
Story by: WILL PIPER A NUMBER of Wisbech Grammar School s sports teams enjoyed a taste of the Caribbean, with a summer tour of Barbados. Cricket, rugby, netball and hockey were all high on the agenda for students who, in-between, could enjoy the sights an
Story by: WILL PIPER
A NUMBER of Wisbech Grammar School's sports teams enjoyed a taste of the Caribbean, with a summer tour of Barbados.
Cricket, rugby, netball and hockey were all high on the agenda for students who, in-between, could enjoy the sights and sounds of the West Indies.
Phillip Webb, the school's head of sport, said: "The tour was a great success both on and off the field; pupils were able to experience the life and culture of Barbados."
You may also want to watch:
The highlight was the school's first choice cricket team completing an unbeaten season by winning three matches.
The team, which they won 13 and drew three games during the season, beat Deighton Griffiths School by 100 runs, Foundation School by two wickets Alleyne School by 104 runs.
- 1 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 2 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 3 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 4 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 5 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Bungling burglar confronted wearing stolen clothes
- 8 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 9 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 10 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
The under-16 girls' hockey team defeated Empire Hockey Club and the Avengers Hockey Club before losing to the Barbados All Stars 3-1. In the Barbados Junior Tournament the girls defeated Hull School and finished in first place.
The under-17 boys' hockey team beat the All Stars 3-1, before 1-1 draws with Empire and the Barbados Under-18 Development Team. They also took part in the Barbados Junior Boys' Tournament, with the A team finishing top.
Both the under-15 and under-16 girls' Netball teams won two of their four games. Both teams lost to Barbados Development Squads but both recovered by overcoming the National Sports Council summer camp sides.
Male and female rugby teams faced test matches. In the girls' match Barbados built up an unassailable first half lead to beat Wisbech 15-5.
But the boys clinched a 3-0 series win against the Barbados under-17 XV, with games ending 40-7, 17-12 and 17-10.