Grammar School's sports teams enjoy tour - and test matches - in Barbados
Story by: WILL PIPER A NUMBER of Wisbech Grammar School s sports teams enjoyed a taste of the Caribbean, with a summer tour of Barbados. Cricket, rugby, netball and hockey were all high on the agenda for students who, in-between, could enjoy the sights an
Story by: WILL PIPER
A NUMBER of Wisbech Grammar School's sports teams enjoyed a taste of the Caribbean, with a summer tour of Barbados.
Cricket, rugby, netball and hockey were all high on the agenda for students who, in-between, could enjoy the sights and sounds of the West Indies.
Phillip Webb, the school's head of sport, said: "The tour was a great success both on and off the field; pupils were able to experience the life and culture of Barbados."
You may also want to watch:
The highlight was the school's first choice cricket team completing an unbeaten season by winning three matches.
The team, which they won 13 and drew three games during the season, beat Deighton Griffiths School by 100 runs, Foundation School by two wickets Alleyne School by 104 runs.
- 1 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Frightened cancer patient with Covid relieved as hospital extend stay
- 4 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 5 The Queen Elizabeth Hospital launches Covid-19 patient helpline
- 6 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 7 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 8 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 9 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 10 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
The under-16 girls' hockey team defeated Empire Hockey Club and the Avengers Hockey Club before losing to the Barbados All Stars 3-1. In the Barbados Junior Tournament the girls defeated Hull School and finished in first place.
The under-17 boys' hockey team beat the All Stars 3-1, before 1-1 draws with Empire and the Barbados Under-18 Development Team. They also took part in the Barbados Junior Boys' Tournament, with the A team finishing top.
Both the under-15 and under-16 girls' Netball teams won two of their four games. Both teams lost to Barbados Development Squads but both recovered by overcoming the National Sports Council summer camp sides.
Male and female rugby teams faced test matches. In the girls' match Barbados built up an unassailable first half lead to beat Wisbech 15-5.
But the boys clinched a 3-0 series win against the Barbados under-17 XV, with games ending 40-7, 17-12 and 17-10.