GOREFIELD: Lightning strikes Fenland home
WEB EXCLUSIVE: A mother and daughter are believed to have had a lucky escape after lightening struck a house in the fens today (Friday). The incident happened at 3.04pm at a house in Gorefield, near Wisbech, and the strike caused extensive damage to the roof, chimney and the upper floor was left
A mother and daughter are believed to have had a lucky escape after lightening struck a house in the fens today (Friday).
The incident happened at 3.04pm at a house in Gorefield, near Wisbech, and the strike caused extensive damage to the roof, chimney and the upper floor was left structurally unsound.
The lightning strike also hit a nearby transformer on the same road and cut off the power supply in the immediate area.
You may also want to watch:
Two fire crews from Wisbech attended the detached two-storey house and checked the area damaged by the lightning with a thermal imaging camera, but found the fire to be totally out.
Steve Robinson, Station Manager for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said last night: “Unfortunately there was absolutely nothing that could have been done to prevent this incident.
- 1 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 2 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 3 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 4 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 7 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
- 8 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 9 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week
- 10 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
“It was a force of nature and it has destroyed this house to the point that it is now structurally unsound.
“Thankfully, however, the mother and daughter in the house at the time escaped any serious injuries.”
Fire crews returned to base by 4.11pm.
It is understood that the home belonged to a David Bullen and that his wife who was at home at the time of the incident phoned him to get him to urgently return.