Free ‘Golden Age Fair’ for elderly people coming to Queen Mary Centre in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
Fenland’s free ‘Golden Age Fair’ is returning to the region this month with an event held at the Queen Mary Centre in Wisbech.
The event, that happens four times a year, is organised by the Fenland District Council to provide advice and support for people over the age of 60.
The free fair will take place at the Queen Mary Centre on Monday, September 10 from 11am to 2pm.
Councillor Mike Cornwell, the council’s cabinet member responsible for Golden Age, said: “If you haven’t attended one of our Golden Age Fairs yet, you’re missing out!
“Every time we hold these events, people tell us how useful they are, not just for older people themselves but also for their relatives, friends and other carers.
“Our partners include charities and other groups catering for all sorts of needs, so these are great one-stop shops for anyone looking for information and help. So do come along and make the most of what’s on offer.”
The event team will be joined by more than 20 partner organisations and charities offering everything from money and health care advice to safety tips and even a free electric blanket exchange for the over 65s.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 3 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 4 Wisbech family discover 'ultimate side hustle'
- 5 ‘Thank you, my NHS, you were simply amazing’
- 6 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 7 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 8 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 9 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 10 Off duty nurse saves a man's life by performing CPR
The Fenland Ferret – a computer programme that ferrets out unclaimed benefits – will also be offering free benefits checks. Over £800,000 in unclaimed benefits has been discovered to date, and more than 4,000 people have been given access to local services.
New Vision Fitness staff will also be on hand with free health and blood pressure checks and Active Fenland will be holding activity tasters.
Other organisations attending include the Cambridgeshire Library Service, Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, Alzheimers UK, Care Network and Community, Carers Trust, Diabetes UK, Breathe Easy, Everyone Health, Age UK and the Royal British Legion.