Geraniums are blooming marvellous
COLOURFUL displays of geraniums were blooming at a Wisbech centre on Saturday when the British and European Geranium Society held their national show. It was the first time in its 36-year history that the show, hosted by the Wisbech and District Fuchsia a
COLOURFUL displays of geraniums were blooming at a Wisbech centre on Saturday when the British and European Geranium Society held their national show.
It was the first time in its 36-year history that the show, hosted by the Wisbech and District Fuchsia and Pelargonium Society, had taken place in Fenland.
Between 300 and 400 people looked at the displays in the Queen Mary Centre, in Queen's Road, which included displays of geraniums and pelargoniums by exhibitors from England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and further afield.
There were also trade stands, plants for sale, a raffle and a book stall held by the geranium society.
You may also want to watch:
The Mayor of Wisbech, Councillor David Oliver, opened the show at 1pm and officiated the prize-giving ceremony at the end of the show.
John Green, show manager and a member of the Wisbech and District Pelargonium Society, said: "Exhibitors and visitors said they were very impressed with the show."
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 3 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 4 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 5 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 6 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
Sixty per cent of the show takings will be donated to the East Anglian Children's Hospice.