Geraniums are blooming marvellous
COLOURFUL displays of geraniums were blooming at a Wisbech centre on Saturday when the British and European Geranium Society held their national show. It was the first time in its 36-year history that the show, hosted by the Wisbech and District Fuchsia a
COLOURFUL displays of geraniums were blooming at a Wisbech centre on Saturday when the British and European Geranium Society held their national show.
It was the first time in its 36-year history that the show, hosted by the Wisbech and District Fuchsia and Pelargonium Society, had taken place in Fenland.
Between 300 and 400 people looked at the displays in the Queen Mary Centre, in Queen's Road, which included displays of geraniums and pelargoniums by exhibitors from England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and further afield.
There were also trade stands, plants for sale, a raffle and a book stall held by the geranium society.
You may also want to watch:
The Mayor of Wisbech, Councillor David Oliver, opened the show at 1pm and officiated the prize-giving ceremony at the end of the show.
John Green, show manager and a member of the Wisbech and District Pelargonium Society, said: "Exhibitors and visitors said they were very impressed with the show."
- 1 Fenland Council loses fight to stop incinerator survey
- 2 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 3 800 sign in 24 hours to close lake where Radek drowned
- 4 Man in court after more than £656k of cannabis seized
- 5 Tributes paid to 'much loved' Gabija killed in A605 crash
- 6 Fire crews free driver trapped in overturned lorry
- 7 Man arrested after cannabis factory found after house blaze
- 8 14-year-old footballer's 'dream' comes true after securing England trial
- 9 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 10 Major youth football tournament cancelled for second year running
Sixty per cent of the show takings will be donated to the East Anglian Children's Hospice.