Geraniums are blooming marvellous
COLOURFUL displays of geraniums were blooming at a Wisbech centre on Saturday when the British and European Geranium Society held their national show. It was the first time in its 36-year history that the show, hosted by the Wisbech and District Fuchsia a
COLOURFUL displays of geraniums were blooming at a Wisbech centre on Saturday when the British and European Geranium Society held their national show.
It was the first time in its 36-year history that the show, hosted by the Wisbech and District Fuchsia and Pelargonium Society, had taken place in Fenland.
Between 300 and 400 people looked at the displays in the Queen Mary Centre, in Queen's Road, which included displays of geraniums and pelargoniums by exhibitors from England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and further afield.
There were also trade stands, plants for sale, a raffle and a book stall held by the geranium society.
The Mayor of Wisbech, Councillor David Oliver, opened the show at 1pm and officiated the prize-giving ceremony at the end of the show.
John Green, show manager and a member of the Wisbech and District Pelargonium Society, said: "Exhibitors and visitors said they were very impressed with the show."
- 1 Arsonist started fire in Wisbech care home
- 2 Elderly man scares off would-be burglar
- 3 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 4 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 5 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 6 Smiles return as bridge re-painting comes to an end
- 7 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 8 Armed police swoop on youngsters brandishing suspected hand gun
- 9 Carnival lights up village as sports day marks 100 years
- 10 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
Sixty per cent of the show takings will be donated to the East Anglian Children's Hospice.