Garden set to grow
FENLAND planning officers are being urged to approve plans for a major expansion of a Fenland garden centre or be at risk of going against one of the council s key initiatives. Expansion is being sought for Long Acre Garden Centre, on the outskirts of Wis
FENLAND planning officers are being urged to approve plans for a major expansion of a Fenland garden centre or be at risk of going against one of the council's key initiatives.
Expansion is being sought for Long Acre Garden Centre, on the outskirts of Wisbech St Mary. Plans include doubling the size of the car park, building new polytunnels and creating a new open display and sales area.
But agent Peter Humphrey said, after the council supported the formation of the business in 2002: "It would seem perverse if the council was to allow the enterprise to establish but were then to strangle a successful enterprise from expanding."
Doubling the size of the car park is included in the application, in a bid to prevent motorists parking near the crossroads where the garden centre is based. A need to "spread out" existing plant displays and a need to grow a greater number of plants under cover are reasons also sighted for the expansion onto agricultural land next to the centre in Seadyke Bank.
You may also want to watch:
In his supporting letter to the council Mr Humphrey said: "Since the main visual aspects of the expanded site will be plants and polytunnels, the rural character of the area will be maintained. The proposals will, in fact, be contributing to a more diverse rural activity.
"The expansion will further provide a greater employment security to the existing staff as well as providing a successful spring-board for employing additional staff in the future.
- 1 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 2 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 3 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 4 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 5 A141 closed after motorcycle crash
- 6 Watch the moment E-scooter rider, 16, narrowly misses crashing into bus
- 7 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 8 Body found in Wisbech road
- 9 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 10 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police