GALLERY: Wisbech Town legends don boots to help Fenmen raise more than �350 for Help for Heroes
A TEAM of Wisbech Town legends donned their boots on Sunday to help the Fenmen raise more than �350 for forces’ charity Help for Heroes.
The main footballing attraction of the family fun day was a match between Fenmen legends and a team of the club’s supporters. The game was played in memory of supporter Denis Harris, who used to post match reports on the club’s forum under the username Goalbound.
Steve Appleby, current Wisbech manager, was among a number of the club’s icons who took to the field to help the ‘Legends’ beat the ‘Supporters’ 6-5. Kevin Leggett scored their winner direct from a kick-off.
Jonny Pearce, one of the event’s organisers, said: “I would like to thank everyone for getting involved and making it a great success both on the supporters side and the legends team.
“The game was an absolute cracker and both teams were quite evenly matched if not in age then in ability. It was only a last-second wonder strike which won the game for the legends.”
You may also want to watch:
Entry was free for the event which ran from 11am-11pm at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
A bouncy castle, bungee run, talent competition and a visit from TV character Peppa Pig were just some of the other highlights of an action-packed day.
- 1 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 2 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 3 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 4 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 5 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 8 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 9 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
- 10 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
The club also proudly displayed its new club shop which was opened on Saturday by life president Jack Chilvers and supporters’ club secretary Les Piercey.
It will be run by the Fenmen’s supporters’ club and will sell a wide-range of souvenirs and club merchandise.