GALLERY: Wisbech Cemetery memorials restored to former glory
MEMORIALS at Wisbech Cemetery have been restored to their former glory thanks to a bumper donation from the Wisbech Society.
Fenland stonemason Gary Manning spent hours repairing the broken structures in the grounds of the Leverington Road cemetery after a �2,000 cheque was donated to help pay for the work.
Fenland District Council added a further �750 to the pot after the Friends of Wisbech General Cemetery appealed for cash to repair worn parts of the grounds back into use.
But there is still more work to do as Mr Manning found forgotten structures buried in the ground during his work in the cemetery.
Sarah Ledger, secretary of the Friends’ group, said: “There is so much here that still hasn’t been uncovered.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s such an important part of the social history of Wisbech so it’s important it is done and done properly.”
Brian Payne, chairman of the Wisbech Society, said: “It’s important the cemetery is kept clean and tidy and is above all respected by the people of Wisbech.”
- 1 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
- 2 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 3 Man who headbutted and spat at HMRC officers told to expect jail
- 4 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 5 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 6 No queue as vaccinations for 500 patients in a day begin
- 7 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 8 Ever get that sinking feeling?
- 9 Council tax frozen after eventful but non event year
- 10 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021