GALLERY: Wisbech Cemetery memorials restored to former glory
MEMORIALS at Wisbech Cemetery have been restored to their former glory thanks to a bumper donation from the Wisbech Society.
Fenland stonemason Gary Manning spent hours repairing the broken structures in the grounds of the Leverington Road cemetery after a �2,000 cheque was donated to help pay for the work.
Fenland District Council added a further �750 to the pot after the Friends of Wisbech General Cemetery appealed for cash to repair worn parts of the grounds back into use.
But there is still more work to do as Mr Manning found forgotten structures buried in the ground during his work in the cemetery.
Sarah Ledger, secretary of the Friends’ group, said: “There is so much here that still hasn’t been uncovered.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s such an important part of the social history of Wisbech so it’s important it is done and done properly.”
Brian Payne, chairman of the Wisbech Society, said: “It’s important the cemetery is kept clean and tidy and is above all respected by the people of Wisbech.”
- 1 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
- 2 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 3 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 4 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 5 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 6 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 7 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 8 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 9 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 10 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink