GALLERY: Thousands attend as town gets festive for Wisbech Yule Fayre
- Credit: Archant
Stalls sold festive gifts, a brass band played Christmas songs and reindeers turned heads at the Wisbech Yule Fayre yesterday.
Several thousand people attended and there were 86 stalls selling traditional Christmas foods and tipples alongside craftware and decorations.
The Yule Fayre was organised by Fenland District Council together with the town council and community groups.
The large crowds were entertained by performers from Wisbech Grammar School, Leverington Primary School, Clarkson Infant School, Elm Road Primary School, St Peter’s Junior School and Thomas Clarkson Academy.
Businesses got into the spirit, decorating their shop windows for a competition which was judged by Mayor of Wisbech Michael Hill and won by The Salvation Army.
You may also want to watch:
An FDC spokesman said: “It all went very well. The weather was kind and we were busy all day, with several thousand people attending.
“We had 86 stalls in all. This year, for the first time, they were concentrated in the Market Place in response to concerns raised last year about access for residents who live in the Crescent and from some local businesses asking that their shopfronts be kept clear.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Princes win top food and drink industry award
- 5 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 Stolen French bulldog reunited with Wisbech owners 160 miles away
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 Boy, 15, arrested amid crackdown on deliberate fires
- 10 Man dies in three-car A47 crash and another remains in life-threatening condition
“All the entertainment proved very popular. We were particularly pleased to welcome young performers from five schools - Wisbech Grammar School, Leverington Primary School, Clarkson Infant School, Elm Road Primary School, St Peter’s Junior School and Thomas Clarkson Academy.
“Special thanks to all the local businesses that entered into the festive spirit by decorating their shop windows – and to Michael Hill, the Mayor of Wisbech, for judging the competition, which was won by the Salvation Army.
“We’re also very grateful to all the volunteers and organisations who participated on the day and those who contributed to the many months of planning beforehand.
“If you would like to contribute to next year’s fayre, please contact our markets and events team.”