Gallery: Photo review of the year 2008 - Whittlesey
IT was a year that saw BBC Countryfile visit to film its world-famous show, that saw a film star visit a secondary school and a year which saw one of the biggest fires in the country. This is Whittlesey 2008 – and a few of the stories looked back u
IT was a year that saw BBC Countryfile visit to film its world-famous show, that saw a film star visit a secondary school and a year which saw one of the biggest fires in the country.
This is Whittlesey 2008 - and a few of the stories looked back upon by photographer Brian Purdy in his pictorial review of the year.
Countryfile came to the town for the Straw Bear festival in January, and it was Warwick Davis who visited Sir Harry Smith Community College in November to give students an insight into the world of showbiz.
There were also good Ofsted reports for Sir Harry Smith and New Road Primary School, and the emergence of singing talent Harriadnie Beau and dancer Alicia Furneaux.
You may also want to watch:
But 2008 in Whittlesey will be remembered for two things. There was the huge fire at a warehouse at the Abbey Group site, which sent smoke bellowing over parts of East Anglia for 24 hours.
And then, in August, Fenland's biggest wind turbine arrived. But with it came turmoil for residents - with ice falling from the blades the final straw for many.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 8 Take 10 initiative leaves students ‘buzzing’ about literacy
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash