Gallery: Photo review of the year 2008 - Whittlesey
IT was a year that saw BBC Countryfile visit to film its world-famous show, that saw a film star visit a secondary school and a year which saw one of the biggest fires in the country. This is Whittlesey 2008 – and a few of the stories looked back u
IT was a year that saw BBC Countryfile visit to film its world-famous show, that saw a film star visit a secondary school and a year which saw one of the biggest fires in the country.
This is Whittlesey 2008 - and a few of the stories looked back upon by photographer Brian Purdy in his pictorial review of the year.
Countryfile came to the town for the Straw Bear festival in January, and it was Warwick Davis who visited Sir Harry Smith Community College in November to give students an insight into the world of showbiz.
There were also good Ofsted reports for Sir Harry Smith and New Road Primary School, and the emergence of singing talent Harriadnie Beau and dancer Alicia Furneaux.
You may also want to watch:
But 2008 in Whittlesey will be remembered for two things. There was the huge fire at a warehouse at the Abbey Group site, which sent smoke bellowing over parts of East Anglia for 24 hours.
And then, in August, Fenland's biggest wind turbine arrived. But with it came turmoil for residents - with ice falling from the blades the final straw for many.
- 1 New independent funeral service opens in Wisbech
- 2 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 5 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 6 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 7 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 8 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 9 Port welcomes 10 ships in a month from Latvia to The Netherlands
- 10 Tories retain Octavia Hill ward in by election