GALLERY: Historic clock is returned to its original home in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
An historic clock that was taken down to be auctioned three years ago has been put back in pride of place in Wisbech town centre.
Dann’s clock was a popular feature of everyday life on Bridge Street before its removal in 2012, when it was set for auction.
There was a public outcry when it was taken down leading to the Wisbech Society and the town’s Rotary Club launching an appeal to restore the clock to its rightful place above the offices of what is now WH Brown estate agents.
Wisbech Society Chairman, Ray Johnson. said: “It was a bleak day for Wisbech when the clock was removed from its home of the last 150 years.
“The town had suffered another blow to its pride and heritage, but by good luck and the expenditure of £5,000, the clock is now home to re-join Mr Dann’s other jewels in Wisbech’s crown – the clock in St Peter & St Paul church, built in 1886 and the 23-bell carillon in the Wisbech Institute clock tower, built in 1887 to mark Queen Victoria’s golden jubilee.
You may also want to watch:
“Now, with the return of Dann’s Clock, the announcement that Wisbech is in line to receive £2 million in Heritage Lottery Fund money to restore the High Street, the ongoing restoration of the old Belfast building and properties in Hill Street, and newly completed restoration works to properties on South Brink, the town’s fortunes are finally looking up.
He continued: “These projects have involved Wisbech Society input to Fenland District Council and other organisations – the good things that are happening in Wisbech are the result of ‘town efforts’ and it is only with the support and involvement of individuals and groups in the town that we can achieve change.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 6 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
- 9 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 10 Room to improve as villagers fail to cope with rampant visitors
“There are many people to thank for our success, but I would especially like to thank Peter and Ben Turner, and their staff at Turner Contracting, for their invaluable assistance in placing the clock back into its historic position.”
The clock was installed by James Dann over his premises in 1864 - the building had housed a clockmaker since the 16th century and Mr Dann was a well-known clockmaker and watch repairer.