Gallery: Footballers gather for fifth annual Joe Warner Memorial tournament
A FUND-RAISING football tournament was held in memory of a local player who died at the age of 21. A total of 24 teams took part in the fifth annual Joe Warner Memorial five-a-side tournament. It was held at Gorefield Playing Field on Saturday. Wisbech
A FUND-RAISING football tournament was held in memory of a local player who died at the age of 21.
A total of 24 teams took part in the fifth annual Joe Warner Memorial five-a-side tournament.
It was held at Gorefield Playing Field on Saturday.
Wisbech St Mary won for the third successive, beating The Invincibles 1-0 in the final.
You may also want to watch:
The tournament was organised in memory of Joe Warner, from Leverington, who played for teams in the area, and captained Leverington's Six Ringers' team.
Money is raised every year for football clubs that Warner had been involved with.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Stolen French bulldog reunited with Wisbech owners 160 miles away
- 4 Princes win top food and drink industry award
- 5 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 8 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 9 Historic building owners urged to use grant scheme before it’s too late
One of the Warner's friends, Kristian Hunns, who helped to organise the tournament, said: "It was a good day and we had a decent turn-out.
"The organisers will meet soon to see how much money has been raised and to decide where this will be spent.