Gallery: Footballers gather for fifth annual Joe Warner Memorial tournament
A FUND-RAISING football tournament was held in memory of a local player who died at the age of 21. A total of 24 teams took part in the fifth annual Joe Warner Memorial five-a-side tournament. It was held at Gorefield Playing Field on Saturday. Wisbech
A FUND-RAISING football tournament was held in memory of a local player who died at the age of 21.
A total of 24 teams took part in the fifth annual Joe Warner Memorial five-a-side tournament.
It was held at Gorefield Playing Field on Saturday.
Wisbech St Mary won for the third successive, beating The Invincibles 1-0 in the final.
You may also want to watch:
The tournament was organised in memory of Joe Warner, from Leverington, who played for teams in the area, and captained Leverington's Six Ringers' team.
Money is raised every year for football clubs that Warner had been involved with.
- 1 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 2 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 3 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 4 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 5 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 8 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 9 Fully-funded place at grammar school's sixth form available for one pupil
- 10 All you need to know about the new Vauxhall Mokka
One of the Warner's friends, Kristian Hunns, who helped to organise the tournament, said: "It was a good day and we had a decent turn-out.
"The organisers will meet soon to see how much money has been raised and to decide where this will be spent.