Gallery: Footballers gather for fifth annual Joe Warner Memorial tournament
A FUND-RAISING football tournament was held in memory of a local player who died at the age of 21. A total of 24 teams took part in the fifth annual Joe Warner Memorial five-a-side tournament. It was held at Gorefield Playing Field on Saturday. Wisbech
A FUND-RAISING football tournament was held in memory of a local player who died at the age of 21.
A total of 24 teams took part in the fifth annual Joe Warner Memorial five-a-side tournament.
It was held at Gorefield Playing Field on Saturday.
Wisbech St Mary won for the third successive, beating The Invincibles 1-0 in the final.
You may also want to watch:
The tournament was organised in memory of Joe Warner, from Leverington, who played for teams in the area, and captained Leverington's Six Ringers' team.
Money is raised every year for football clubs that Warner had been involved with.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 4 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 5 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 6 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 7 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 8 Ambulance charity first in East to transfer Covid-19 patients by air
- 9 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 10 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
One of the Warner's friends, Kristian Hunns, who helped to organise the tournament, said: "It was a good day and we had a decent turn-out.
"The organisers will meet soon to see how much money has been raised and to decide where this will be spent.