Gallery: Footballers gather for fifth annual Joe Warner Memorial tournament
A FUND-RAISING football tournament was held in memory of a local player who died at the age of 21. A total of 24 teams took part in the fifth annual Joe Warner Memorial five-a-side tournament. It was held at Gorefield Playing Field on Saturday. Wisbech
A FUND-RAISING football tournament was held in memory of a local player who died at the age of 21.
A total of 24 teams took part in the fifth annual Joe Warner Memorial five-a-side tournament.
It was held at Gorefield Playing Field on Saturday.
Wisbech St Mary won for the third successive, beating The Invincibles 1-0 in the final.
The tournament was organised in memory of Joe Warner, from Leverington, who played for teams in the area, and captained Leverington's Six Ringers' team.
Money is raised every year for football clubs that Warner had been involved with.
- 1 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 2 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 3 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 4 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 5 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 6 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 7 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 8 Mother of Rikki Neave 'told the truth and nothing but the truth', jury told
- 9 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 10 Footballer, Harry, hoping for future in professional football
One of the Warner's friends, Kristian Hunns, who helped to organise the tournament, said: "It was a good day and we had a decent turn-out.
"The organisers will meet soon to see how much money has been raised and to decide where this will be spent.