Gallery: Footballers gather for fifth annual Joe Warner Memorial tournament
A FUND-RAISING football tournament was held in memory of a local player who died at the age of 21. A total of 24 teams took part in the fifth annual Joe Warner Memorial five-a-side tournament. It was held at Gorefield Playing Field on Saturday. Wisbech
A FUND-RAISING football tournament was held in memory of a local player who died at the age of 21.
A total of 24 teams took part in the fifth annual Joe Warner Memorial five-a-side tournament.
It was held at Gorefield Playing Field on Saturday.
Wisbech St Mary won for the third successive, beating The Invincibles 1-0 in the final.
You may also want to watch:
The tournament was organised in memory of Joe Warner, from Leverington, who played for teams in the area, and captained Leverington's Six Ringers' team.
Money is raised every year for football clubs that Warner had been involved with.
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 3 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 4 Tesco staff self-isolate after being ‘pinged’ by track and trace
- 5 Mayor fumes over ‘amateur’ foster carers claim
- 6 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 8 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 9 Family of man who died at quarry plead with people not to swim
- 10 Firefighters left tackling 'deliberate' car blaze for over an hour
One of the Warner's friends, Kristian Hunns, who helped to organise the tournament, said: "It was a good day and we had a decent turn-out.
"The organisers will meet soon to see how much money has been raised and to decide where this will be spent.