Gallery: Fenland 2009 round-up - Sport
THIS year has been an eventful one for sport in Wisbech and the surrounding villages. And in the second of our six round-ups of 2009, our award-winning photographer Brian Purdy has put together a selection of images to capture some of the highlights of th
THIS year has been an eventful one for sport in Wisbech and the surrounding villages.
And in the second of our six round-ups of 2009, our award-winning photographer Brian Purdy has put together a selection of images to capture some of the highlights of the sporting year.
Wisbech Rugby Club battled their way to promotion to the London Division Three North East, and for Wisbech Town Football Club there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel after a turbulent couple of years.
The Fenmen's move to their new ground, off Lynn Road, was given a massive boost after they secured a �50,000 grant from the Football Stadia Improvement Fund.
You may also want to watch:
On the pitch, following the resignation of Steve Taylor as manager in December 2008, Gary Setchell turned them from Ridgeon's Premier League relegation contenders to a side that are currently eighth in the division.
In cricket, Leverington achieved their season's target of avoiding relegation from the West Norfolk Division One - despite one of our pictures showing three players attempting to grab a catch.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 3 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 4 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 5 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 8 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
Leverington also reached the League Cup final for the first time since 1985, but lost to Grimston.
Elsewhere, Wisbech powerlifter Tom Baty won two gold and two silver medals at the Special Olympics in Leicester in August and Wisbech bodybuilder Nik Okerika was named Novice Mr Lincolnshire.
Wisbech Hockey Club's men's first team won their final East Premier A Division of the season - 3-1 at City of Peterborough after finishing mid-table last season when Wisbech men's fourth team won the Division 6NW title.
But 2009 was a tough year for Wisbech racing driver Liam McMillan.
In April he made his debut in the British Touring Car Championship but a series of car problems and a financial dispute with French engine builders Oreca forced him to miss several races and left him considering his future.
You can look through all our pictures in our gallery by clicking the link below.