Gallery: Almost 2,000 turn out for Wisbech St Mary football tournament
JUST under 2,000 boys and girls enjoyed the two-day Wisbech St Mary Football Tournament. About 250 teams played in under-7s to under-16s competitions. The tournament has been run annually since 1993 and is the second biggest football event in England, be
JUST under 2,000 boys and girls enjoyed the two-day Wisbech St Mary Football Tournament.
About 250 teams played in under-7s to under-16s competitions.
The tournament has been run annually since 1993 and is the second biggest football event in England, behind a competition at Rushden and Diamonds FC.
Tournament secretary Sue Dighton said: "About 50 or 60 teams took part when we first held this tournament, but the hard work of a small group of people has enabled it to grow spectacularly.
You may also want to watch:
"We were slightly down on numbers this year because there seems to be a lot of tournaments out there, but it's still a remarkable achievement for a small village like Wisbech St Mary to stage an event like this and make sure that it runs smoothly.
"I'd like to thank the tournament committee, JS Holmes for sponsoring the event and particularly the young referees that we had.
- 1 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 2 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 3 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
- 4 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 5 Loft gives up its secret: £60,000 of cannabis plants
- 6 Police finally pull car from Fens river
- 7 Co-op grocery delivery robots are coming to Cambridgeshire
- 8 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 9 Did you bite your husband's leg? ‘No, he knocked all my teeth out- I could not bite his leg’
- 10 Students highlight road safety in new films
"We always encourage 14 and 15 year olds to take refereeing courses and hopefully they will go on to support many more football events."
The main raffle prize winner was Mrs A Gowler, from Wisbech, who won �200.
Money was raised for Wisbech St Mary Football Club.
Winners were as follows: Under-9s: Deeping Blue; under-10s: Hungate Yellow; under-11s: Ramsey Colts; under-12s girls: Deeping Diamonds; under-12s: Chatteris Town; under-13s: Werrington Athletic; under-14s: Wisbech St Mary Purple B; under-15s: Eye Utd; under-16s: Wisbech St Mary; under-14s girls: Deeping Diamonds; under-16s girls: Peterborough Ladies.
The under-7s and under-8s played friendly games.