Gallery: 180 classic vehicles take to the Fenland road
IT was a wonderful spectacle – 180 vehicles of yesteryear gracing the Fenland roads reminding everyone of a time when driving was a pleasure. The impressive vehicles, classic cars, commercial vehicles and motorcycles were all taking part in Sunday s 16th
IT was a wonderful spectacle - 180 vehicles of yesteryear gracing the Fenland roads reminding everyone of a time when driving was a pleasure.
The impressive vehicles, classic cars, commercial vehicles and motorcycles were all taking part in Sunday's 16th road run organised by Wisbech & District Historic Vehicle Club.
Included in the run was a 1932 Austin 16/6 Open Road Tourer, 1955 Morris Minor Traveller, 1949 Triumph Roadster TR1, 1974 Jaguar XJ 6L, 1949 Wolseley 6/80 (police car), 1947 Bedford RL Green Goddess and a 1963 Lambretta TV175.
Starting at the Somers Road Car Park in Wisbech, the vehicles made their way to Peterborough via Tydd St Mary, Holbeach, Whaplode, Spalding and Market Deeping. The return journey took them through Whittlesey, March and Wisbech St Mary.
Main sponsor of the event was Elgood & Sons Ltd and the proceeds from the sale of programmes and raffle tickets will be donated to the East Anglian Air Ambulance and other local charities.
The club was formed in 1989 by a group of historic vehicle enthusiasts and now has more than 100 members. The age of the vehicles owned by club members ranges from the 1920's to 1970's.
- 1 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 2 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 3 Sex offender case adjourned due to judge's concerns
- 4 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 5 Whistleblower shares story of bullying, fatigue and 'dangerous' hours at ambulance service
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 7 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 8 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 9 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 10 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
For the first four years the club held weekend rallies and then, in 1993, decided to hold a road run.
The club meets on the first Tuesday in every month at 8pm at The Three Tuns pub in Norwich Road, Wisbech.
Main cup winners were: Commercial Cup, 1955 Albion FT37 EL entered by J Richards of Fakenham; Classic Car Cup, 1934 Wolseley Hornet, entered by C Bedford of March; Morton Cup for the oldest car on run, 1930 Standard Big 9 entered by M Capps of Wisbech; Motorcycle Cup, 1937 BSA Empire Star entered by M Curtis of Walpole Cross Keys; Guildo's Scooter Cup, 1966 Lambretta; Members Cup, 1967 Sunbeam Rapier MK5 entered by Judy Roberts of King's Lynn; Cullen Morris Minor Shield, 1955 Morris Minor Traveller entered by M Lenton of March.