The results are in... here’s what people really think about town’s Marmite Christmas tree

Our poll revealed how many people like the new Christmas tree in Wisbech and how many people wished it never arrived.

Our poll revealed how many people like the new Christmas tree in Wisbech and how many people wished it never arrived. Picture: Instagram/jolanditasenjorita - Credit: Archant

A controversial Christmas tree has divided a town in two as our survey reveals how many people actually like the Marmite installation.

Our poll results. Picture: Archant

Our poll results. Picture: Archant - Credit: Archant

Wisbech was gifted the less than traditional structure from Peterborough free of charge this Christmas after the city paid around £40,000 for it originally.

An article published in a national tabloid newspaper uncovered some residents’ frustrations with the new tree, labelling it “baubles in bubble-wrap”.

MORE: Are residents really ‘furious’ over hand-me-down ‘bubble-wrap’ Christmas tree?

Comments have poured in online after one market trader, speaking to the red top, said the tree was “out of place” because “the town is not modern enough”.

He added: “It would fit better in the Kings Lynn area because it’s more modern.”


You may also want to watch:


We launched a survey to find out exactly how many people really liked the hand-me-down decoration and how many wished it never arrived.

Of the 300 who took part (at time of print), 57 per cent of people confessed to liking the town’s new addition, leaving 43 per cent outside of the fan club.

You can still have your say, email us a letter to: harry.rutter@archant.co.uk to be in with a chance of having your comments featured in our newspaper.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus