It’s a close shave! Wisbech fundraiser shaves head (as promised) to reach £2,500 Magpas target
A Wisbech man is a cut above the rest and kept his promise to shave his head if he reached his fundraising target for Magpas Air Ambulance.
Nick Johnson shaved his head to reach his £2,500 target to say “thank you” to the charity which airlifted his friend James Watson to Papworth hospital earlier this year.
He said: “Thank you so much to everyone who donated to this fantastic charity.
“I shaved my head live on Facebook. It was a lot of fun and I’ve been blown away everyone’s generosity and support.”
Nick ran two separate 10km races and cycled 47 miles, the distance between Wisbech and Papworth, on an exercise bike at his home in Wisbech during the lockdown.
It was a close shave but he managed to raise his exact target, which is the amount it costs Magpas each time a helicopter of medics is deployed to an incident.
Nick’s friend James, who is known as ‘Jimmy’ among family and friends, had to be revived five times when he suffered a heart attack at work at Wisbech Sorting Office on January 2 this year.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Take 10 initiative leaves students ‘buzzing’ about literacy
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
He survived with the help of medics from the East of England Ambulance Service and the Magpas Air Ambulance.
Magpas Air Ambulance is a charity that relies on donations to deliver critical care and continue to save lives.
It is still possible to donate via the JustGiving website.