Fund-raising teachers to send young Fenland leukaemia sufferer on trip of lifetime
FUND-RAISERS are planning to send a young leukaemia sufferer on the trip of a lifetime.
Shannon Foster is a Year 7 pupil at the Thomas Clarkson Community College in Wisbech, and staff from the school’s King office are determined to give the brave youngster a holiday to remember.
Currently undergoing an intensive course of chemotherapy, 11-year-old Shannon is “a real trooper,” says deputy head of additional needs, Donna Oldfield.
Mrs Oldfield said: “She always tries to come into school when she is up to it. She is a real star.”
“She has really touched my heart – she is such a brave little thing.”
You may also want to watch:
To help cope with Shannon’s illness, Mrs Oldfield has attended a course at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, in Cambridge, so she can learn how to support the youngster in school. Mrs Oldfield has managed to raise about �500 with her colleagues.
She said: “I was told that Shannon would love to visit Legoland at Windsor, but I am sure we can do better than that.
- 1 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 2 New owners of town centre store under fire for flats plan
- 3 Body of missing Wisbech man found in Norfolk
- 4 60 care home residents and staff vaccinated
- 5 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 6 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 7 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 8 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 9 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 10 Man, 21, with 15,000 indecent images and videos plus 'paedophile manual' spared jail
“Money is coming in all the time and we have a full programme of fund raising events over the next few months.
“My original target was to raise �1,000, but I would love to exceed that amount.”
Shannon is the daughter of Lynda Foster of Friday Bridge; she has a brother and a sister.
Mrs Foster said: “Shannon is doing really well with her treatment, I am very proud of her.
“I am really grateful for the school raising money for Shannon. We look forward to her being well enough to go on the trip,”
The next fund-raising event to raise cash for Shannon’s trip is a prize bingo at Thomas Clarkson Community College next Wednesday. Doors open at 6.30pm.