Fund-raising teachers to send young Fenland leukaemia sufferer on trip of lifetime
FUND-RAISERS are planning to send a young leukaemia sufferer on the trip of a lifetime.
Shannon Foster is a Year 7 pupil at the Thomas Clarkson Community College in Wisbech, and staff from the school’s King office are determined to give the brave youngster a holiday to remember.
Currently undergoing an intensive course of chemotherapy, 11-year-old Shannon is “a real trooper,” says deputy head of additional needs, Donna Oldfield.
Mrs Oldfield said: “She always tries to come into school when she is up to it. She is a real star.”
“She has really touched my heart – she is such a brave little thing.”
You may also want to watch:
To help cope with Shannon’s illness, Mrs Oldfield has attended a course at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, in Cambridge, so she can learn how to support the youngster in school. Mrs Oldfield has managed to raise about �500 with her colleagues.
She said: “I was told that Shannon would love to visit Legoland at Windsor, but I am sure we can do better than that.
- 1 Emporium takes business to next level
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Family friends to cycle from Wales to Wisbech to create more happy memories
- 6 Man found dead in March
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 MP full of praise as club reaches £90k towards 3G pitch
“Money is coming in all the time and we have a full programme of fund raising events over the next few months.
“My original target was to raise �1,000, but I would love to exceed that amount.”
Shannon is the daughter of Lynda Foster of Friday Bridge; she has a brother and a sister.
Mrs Foster said: “Shannon is doing really well with her treatment, I am very proud of her.
“I am really grateful for the school raising money for Shannon. We look forward to her being well enough to go on the trip,”
The next fund-raising event to raise cash for Shannon’s trip is a prize bingo at Thomas Clarkson Community College next Wednesday. Doors open at 6.30pm.