Friends walk Hadrian’s Wall to raise money for the Mesothelioma Trust
- Credit: Archant
Friends Claire McGechie and Adam Shepherd walked the 86 miles of Hadrian’s Wall in memory of Claire’s father who died in November 2011.
Claire, 24, and Adam, 26, started their marathon feat in Port Carlisle on the west coast, and completed the route by arriving in Newcastle four days later.
Claire works for River Island and lives in London. She is the daughter of Wendy McGechie of March and the late Patrick McGechie, and arranged to finish the walk on the second anniversary of her father’s death. Money raised from the walk will go to the Mesothelioma Trust
Adam, who lives in March, is a mechanic at Mill Hill Garage in March. The intrepid walkers - who climbed Mount Snowdon last year for the same charity - were joined for the last 20 miles by friend Natasha Pepper.
Natasha, 25, who lives in March and works at Morrisons in Wisbech, said: “I am so proud that Claire and Adam finished the walk in four days. It was Claire’s determination to do the walk in memory of her dad that pushed us on. Claire and I held hands for the last mile and supported each other.”
You may also want to watch:
Claire’s mum said: “They have already raised more than £500 for the charity, and with support from Claire’s employers, they hope the total will reach more than £1,000.”
Anyone wanting to sponsor the walkers can do so through the just giving website.
- 1 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
- 2 'We will improve' believes new Wisbech St Mary boss after opening defeat
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 Princes win top food and drink industry award
- 7 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 8 Stolen French bulldog reunited with Wisbech owners 160 miles away
- 9 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 10 42nd fireworks spectacular out to return with a bang