Fountain stolen from cemetery memorial garden in ‘shameful’ act in Sutton Bridge
- Credit: Archant
A fountain in a cemetery memorial garden where bereaved families would scatter ashes of loved ones was ripped out the ground during a theft in Sutton Bridge.
The parish council, who have branded the incident as “shameful”, said they alerted Lincolnshire Police to the ornamental fountain and its powering solar panel as missing last Thursday (December 6).
It was situated in the memorial garden at the cemetery on Bridge Road which was opened late last year.
The fountain was a silver ball and about 60cm in diameter and would provide tranquil running water near benches and a memorial wall, where ashes would be scattered and names of loved ones inscribed.
Robert Smith, clerk to Sutton Bridge Parish Council, said: “It is unacceptable and all the more shameful as the fountain helped provide a pleasant and tranquil setting where the bereaved could remember their family and friends.
You may also want to watch:
“We gather that the thieves have just taken it for their own garden – but this is just desecration.
“It has been there about 18 months and this is just a real shame that someone had to do this.
- 1 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 4 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 5 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 6 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 7 60 care home residents and staff vaccinated
- 8 Body of missing Wisbech man found in Norfolk
- 9 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 10 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
“The wires were cut to the [solar] cell and then they unbolted the panel and just ripped it off.”
Anyone with knowledge of the crime should report the matter to Lincolnshire Police, who have been contacted by this paper for a statement.