Fireworks being sold online have been seized in Fenland for being stored dangerously in a van
- Credit: Archant
Fireworks have been seized from a property in Fenand after trading standards officers found they were being illegally stored.
The fireworks, which were being sold via a social media site, were being stored in a van which officers said was an inappropriate and potentially dangerous container to store explosives.
Officers from Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Trading Standards Service carried out a visit and seized around £2,000-worth of fireworks. Frank Pasfield, of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough’s Trading Standards Service, said: “We take this issue very seriously and this case should serve as a warning to anyone who is selling fireworks, especially on the lead up to Bonfire Night, to ensure they are stored in the correct container.
“We want people to enjoy November 5 and events to go with a bang for the right reasons, but it’s important that fireworks are stored properly for everyone’s safety.”
Fireworks should always be stored securely to stop unauthorised access, away from material that could easily burn or catch fire, he added.
You may also want to watch:
People who sell fireworks must make sure they are registered and stored safely.
Failure to do so can result in a fine or imprisonment and the courts can order that the fireworks are not returned and destroyed.
- 1 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 2 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 3 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 5 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 6 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 7 Hughes Electrical re-open Monday at Wisbech and Ely
- 8 Five year mystery of what happened to modern day slavery victim
- 9 Fully-funded place at grammar school's sixth form available for one pupil
- 10 Cafe boss throws hat in the ring for county election
Anyone wishing to sell fireworks at this time of year needs to make sure they are fully registered with Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Trading Standards Service. More information is available on the website https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/business/trading-standards/trading-licences-&-registrations/