Firefighters tackle chimney fire in Christchurch caused by soot build-up

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a chimney fire at a home in Church Road, Christchurch, on Thursday. The fire was caused by a build-up of soot in the chimney. Firefighters dislodged the debris using chimney rods to extinguish the blaze. A fire service spokeswo

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a chimney fire at a home in Church Road, Christchurch, on Thursday.

The fire was caused by a build-up of soot in the chimney. Firefighters dislodged the debris using chimney rods to extinguish the blaze.

A fire service spokeswoman said: "We would recommend all residents with open fires to ensure that they have their chimneys swept at least once a year, and that they inspect the brickwork of the chimney to ensure that there are no cracks or bricks missing.

"Above all, residents need to ensure that they have a working smoke alarm so that if a fire does occur, it is quickly detected and everyone is able to get out of the home safely.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus