Firefighters tackle blaze at Wisbech home visited this year for home fire safety check
FIREFIGHTERS this week tackled a blaze at a Wisbech house which was subjected to a home fire safety check earlier this year. Crews were called to Grosvenor Road shortly after noon on Saturday after a neighbour heard a smoke alarm sounding. The alarm had b
FIREFIGHTERS this week tackled a blaze at a Wisbech house which was subjected to a home fire safety check earlier this year.
Crews were called to Grosvenor Road shortly after noon on Saturday after a neighbour heard a smoke alarm sounding. The alarm had been fitted during a home fire safety check carried out by firefighters earlier this year.
The house was empty at the time of the fire, but firefighters were able to gain entry wearing breathing apparatus and used one hose reel to extinguish the blaze in a plastic laundry basket in the utility room.
They also rescued a dog from the utility room which was unharmed by the ordeal.
You may also want to watch:
It is believed the fire started after a metal belt buckle became hot in the tumble dryer and started to melt the laundry basket. The damage was contained to the basket.
Luke Prior, firefighter at Wisbech Fire Station, said: "By allowing the fire service to come into their home and fit smoke alarms, these residents have potentially saved the life of their dog and prevented their home from suffering substantial damage.
- 1 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 2 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 3 Five fire crews called to building blaze
- 4 'Software error' blamed for town council election mix up
- 5 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 6 Podcast revisits the mysterious missing case of Terry McSpadden
- 7 Stronger bonds can be key to success, believes Fenmen boss
- 8 Octavia Hill’s Birthplace House gets share of £1.57billion fund
- 9 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 10 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
"When we gained access to the home, all the internal doors were closed, which is exactly the right thing to do as it prevents fire and smoke from spreading throughout the property."
• To book a free Home Fire Safety Check, which is where a member of the fire service will visit your home, give fire safety information and fit free smoke alarms where needed, contact the fire service on 01480 444666 and quote code PSO.
Alternatively, visit the fire service website by clicking here.